This weekend, enjoy the summer classics. Catch a Star Wars or Pink-themed baseball game, watch Shaun of the Sheep under the stars and dance to live music in the park. This Fri-Sun list of what to do and where to do it is brought to you by The Arts Council of Rockland.
- The Boulders take on the Québec Capitales during Star Wars Night. The first 2,500 fans receive a light saber and meet characters from Star Wars, plus a fireworks show and post-game performance from the band ZERO! 5:30p at Rockland Boulder’s Stadium, 1 Provident Bank Park Dr, Pomona.
- Civil Rights and the 2016 Election: A discussion between Clarence Jones, former speech writer for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Ari Berman, author of Give Us the Ballot: The Modern Struggle for Voting Rights in America, moderated by David Goodman, president of the Andrew Goodman civil rights foundation. Featuring freedom songs performed by Nyack’s Michael Mark. 7:30p at Green Meadow Waldorf School‘s Rose Hall, 307 Hungry Hollow Rd, Chestnut Ridge.
- Don’t miss the free outdoor screening of Shaun the Sheep, from the creators of Wallace & Gromit. Presented free by Rivertown Film and Festoon. At 8p in Memorial Park, Nyack.
- Take part in Kirtan with Sharada Devi, an evening of call and response Sanskrit chanting. 8p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union Ave, Sparkill.
- Penguin Rep Theatre presents the romantic comedy Dancing Lessons. Fri 2 & 8p, Sat at 4 & 8p, Sun at 2p Penguin Rep Theatre, 7 Cricketown Rd, Stony Point.
- Enjoy some classic whodunits with Alfred Hitchcock Presents 2 One Acts where macabre murder mysteries are performed live on stage. Fri & Sat from 8-10p at the Nyack Village Theatre, 94 Main St, Nyack.
Life-long artist and local antique dealer Elaine Schloss opens My Own Little Gallery to “introduce people to wonderful, powerful, fresh artists whose work they will respond to, fall in love with — and buy.” Public reception from 6 – 9p at 142 Main St, Nyack.
- The Great Hudson River Estuary Fish Count invites the public to join naturalists in exploring the amazing variety of creatures hidden below the river’s surface. Fresh upriver and salty at NYC, the Hudson estuary and its watershed are home to more than 200 fish species. In partnership with Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University. 3p at Piermont Pier, seining at blockhouse at pier’s end.
- The Boulders play against Québec Capitales during Pink in the Park. The first 2,000 fans receive a Pink Boulders Jersey. Meet Disney princesses and the first 200 little girls who dress up as princesses receive a pink tiara. Stay for music and pink fireworks. 5p at Rockland Boulder’s Stadium, 1 Provident Bank Park Dr, Pomona.
- SonSublime, NY’s top Cuban Charanga orchestra, plays the classic styles of Danzón, Cha-Cha-Chá and Son for young and mature dancers alike. Beginner salsa lessons start at 8p, band at 10p at West Gate Lounge, 26 Rt 59, Nyack.
- Enjoy the Babbling Brook Players rendition of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing, a comedy exploring love that triumphs over any gossip and mischief. Sat at 6p, Sun at 4p at Clark Recreation Center, 59 Campbell Ave, Suffern.
- Edward Hopper House features photographer David LaChapelle’s Gas Station Series. LaChapelle is renowned for his celebrity photographs, music videos and films. On display through Sept 11. 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Mushroom Foray nature program and walk with the NJ Mycological Association. 10a – 12p at State Line Lookout in Alpine (accessible from its own exit on the northbound PIP near Exit 3).
- Children’s Special Needs Guided Hike – with a stop at Sea Glass Beach. This moderate hike covers about 2 mi. in about 2 hrs. 10:30a by the entrance to Alpine Picnic Area & Boat Basin (Alpine Approach Road/PIP Exit 2).
- Mix, match and collage away at the Scribble Art Workshop at the Hopper House. This drop-in family program is a fun way to beat the heat and a creative outlet for all ages. $7 material fee ($5 for members). 1-3p82 N Broadway, Nyack
Music Mondays: Irish Traditional Seisiun features reels, jigs, aires, hornpipes, and your favorite pub songs. Plus offerings by the chefs of Halo and Horns. 6p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union Dr, Sparkill.
Grab a lawn chair and enjoy Mostly Music Festival on the Hudson as the Danna Banana performs music for kids that parents can stand. Then, Boxing the Needle takes the stage with rock, blues and soul. 7:30p, Nyack Memorial Park, Piermont & Depew Aves.
Vintage cars roll into the Bear Mountain Car Cruise along with a DJ, bounce house and food. Every Wed through Sept. 5-9p at Bear Mountain State Park, Palisades Parkway or Route 9W N.
The Nyack Weekender is sponsored by