by LeeAnn Mailly
Labor Day is the official end of summer, but you can make the most of the last big weekend of the season with this guide of what to do and where to do it in and near Nyack.
- As part of their First Friday monthly arts festival, the Nyack Art Collective honors the Nyack Center’s 25th Anniversary. 50% of proceeds of artwork sold at their group show will be donated to Nyack Center. The exhibit, titled Celebrate Nyack, will be at Prohibition River thru September 30. Opening reception is from 8-10p at Prohibition River, 82 Main St.
- Enjoy the great music, dance, and improvisation as percussive World Music and Dance takes over from 9-12m. Casa del Sol, 104 Main St.
- Hopper happenings include an Artist of the Month reception for Chris Dabagian followed by an Artist Talk by George Way, as he shares A Lifetime of Collecting Dutch Art. 7-8p at Edward Hopper House Art Center, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Cocktails, Munchies & a Movie makes for one perfect night. A screening of Before Sunset and Before Midnight, two award-winning movies that follow the love story of the same characters, directed by Richard Linklater. First movie starts at 6p with cocktails, second movie at 7:30p. Piermont Public Library, 25 Flywheel Park W, Piermont.
- Mark St. Germain’s comedy, Becoming Dr. Ruth, is at Penguin Rep Theatre on Fri and Sat. Many know Dr. Ruth Westheimer from her career on radio and TV but few know the incredible journey that preceded it. Fri at 2 & 8p, Sat at 4 & 8p & Sun at 2p. 7 Cricketown Rd, Stony Point.
- This week’s BikeNyack.com community ride explores the Two States of Lake Tappan: Two states, two counties, two wheels and one big reservoir. Meet up at 8:30a, Piermont & Depew Aves, Nyack.
- Come for a unique, extended tour of one of the Hudson Valley’s most dramatic battle sites! In Their Own Word – The Battle for Fort Montgomery starts at 10a at Fort Montgomery State Historic Site, 690 Route 9W, Fort Montgomery.
- SOL Film Festival features a new array of short films from local and international filmmakers covering a wide variety of topics. 7:30-10p at Shades Repertory Theater Company, 64 New Main St, Haverstraw.
- Take a rollicking romp through 16th century England at the New York Renaissance Faire! Costumed characters, dancers, strolling minstrels, storytellers and magicians amuse you while you visit the marketplace of period crafts. Faire runs every Sat & Sun 10a-7p through 9/27 at Sterling Forest at Tuxedo Park, 600 Route 17A.
- Enjoy Saturday Night Salsa with Pete Nater. Dance lessons at 8p, and the band starts at 11p at West Gate Lounge at Best Western, 26 Route 59, Nyack.
- Artist’s reception for The Corner Frame Shop’s Artist of the Month, Neil Lavey. Recent oil paintings, watercolor, drawings and sculpture will be on display thru Sept. 2-5p at The Corner Frame Shop, 40 S Franklin St.
- Piermont had a prominent role in the American Revolution and in Woody Allen’s Purple Rose of Cairo, too. Learn more about the village’s contribution to American history and the movie business during Train Station Sundays. The exhibit, Piermont During WWII: Last Stop USA is open 12-3p at the Piermont Train Station, 50 Ash St.
- Check out the Haverstraw Summer Concert Series. This week, the Courtney, Greene & Schultz Band plays blues, country and rock n’ roll. 7:30p at Bowline Park at 1 Bowline Plant Road, Haverstraw.
Labor Day is the end of the swimming season at the pools in Palisades Interstate Parks. It’s your last chance to take a dip at:
Rockland Lake: 11a – 6:45p
Lake Welch Beach: 9a – 7p
Bear Mountain Pool: 11a – 6:30p
Join the laughs at Comedy Night from 7-9p at Olive’s, 118 Main St, Nyack.
Come to the opening reception for Festoonology, a multi-media installation of ephemera, films and a gallery of flowers by Nyack’s Kris Burns. The exhibit features the wildly wonderful flowers of Bluefield Farm, one of a kind ceramics by Laura Straus and landscapes by Kellyann Monaghan. 6-9p, Piermont Straus Gallery and Bookstore, 10 Roundhouse Rd, Piermont.
Get the Nyack Weekender in your mailbox auto-magically every Friday morning. Add your name to our mail list to get this weekly guide to weekend events. Visit our online sign-up sheet to subscribe.
The Nyack Weekender
is sponsored by
The Arts Council