by LeeAnn Mailly
It’s a weekend of art, bicycling, bluegrass, chamber music, gay pride, history, jazz, opera, rock, theatre and an Edward Hopper walking tour. Yep, that about covers it, Fri-Sun.
- Frances Wells, painter of light, opens her exhibition celebrating the Hudson River and the strawberry harvest moonrise from 6-9p at Piermont Straus, 10 Roundhouse Rd, Piermont.
- Haverstraw Youth Theater presents Beekeepers, a play about a spelling bee that teaches three girls how to win and lose graciously. Fri & Sat from 8-10p, 64 New Main St, Haverstraw.
- Mix a Hitchcock masterpiece with a juicy spy novel, add a dash of Monty Python and you have The 39 Steps, a fast-paced whodunit with a small cast who play lots of characters. Fri & Sat from 8p–10p, Sun at 2p at Antrim Playhouse, 15 Spook Rock Road, Suffern.
- Kiam Record Shop’s own Jennifer O’Connor performs with her band at 10p, Prohibition River, 82 Main Street.
- Grab your bicycle and meet your neighbors for a weekly 25 mile ride from Nyack’s Memorial Park. Visit BikeNyack.com for this week’s destination. 8:30a at Memorial Park, Piermont & Depew Aves.
- W. Church—Boat Builder: An Exhibit of His Life & Work in the Early 20th Century. Curated by T. Robins Brown, an architectural historian who lives in Nyack in the house where Church resided from 1919 to 1947. 1p at the museum of the Historical Society of the Nyacks, 50 Piermont Ave, behind the library.
- The Rockland Conservatory of Music presents Jazz @ the Rock Concert featuring high school jazz musicians under the direction of Grammy-nominated conductor, Michael E. Smith. 5-6:30p at Good Shepherd Church, 112 N. Main Street, Pearl River.
- Hudson Lyric Opera goes to Broadway with selections from Broadway shows and famous opera arias. 7-9p at First United Methodist Church, 249 W. Main Street, Stony Point.
- Don’t miss the VCS Rockland County Pride Sunday featuring kid’s activities, a bounce house & slide, food, and live music. Performances by the Nyack Red Storm High School Marching Band, Frankie Dee and the Boys, Batala New York City. 12-5p at the Main Street parking lot in Nyack.
- Take part in the 4th Annual Traveling Man Bluegrass Festival. Gates open at 11a. German Masonic Park, 89 Western Highway, Tappan.
- Expand your knowledge of invasive plant species with a Walk Through Trailside Museums & Zoo.1-2p at Bear Mountain State Park’s Trailside Museums and Zoo, Seven Lakes Pkwy, Appalachian Trail, Bear Mountain.
- Trace the steps of Nyack’s native son and world famous realist painter on the Edward Hopper Walking Tour. Presented by the Friends of the Nyacks. 1p at Hopper House Art Center, 82 N Broadway.
- Closing reception for Diane Churchill featuring pianist Jason Stoll performing Debussy, Chopin and Gershwin. Union Arts Center, 2 Union Street, Sparkill, 3-7p.
- The Academy of Music Summer Festival features Bracha Malkin, Jerry Grossman, Mikhail Kopelman, Julia Lichten and David Geber playing the string quintets of Mozart and Glazunov. 7:30-9:30p at Grace Church, 130 First Ave, Nyack.
Linda Chesis joins Academy of Music Summer Festival artists in performance of chamber works for flute and strings, followed by Arensky’s piano trio in D minor. 7:30p at Grace Church, 130 First Ave, Nyack.
Get the Nyack Weekender in your mailbox auto-magically every Friday morning. Add your name to our mail list to get this weekly guide to weekend events. Visit our online sign-up sheet to subscribe.