by Marianne Olive
Crowds of people came to honor of Julie Springman, a longtime waitress at the “Hudson House” on Monday night. Julie, 47, suffered a serious major stroke that left her disabled and no longer able to work or to care for herself.
A host of great entertainers came and gave their time and talent to a great cause. Thanks to everyone who came to help a friend and to make another human being’s quality of life more comfortable and bearable.
We had a beautiful, bountiful buffet spread for all to enjoy and the entertainment continued through the night till 1 am. I want to personally thank:
- Frankie Diaz, who is always the best master of ceremonies anyone could ever ask for. Frankie is a well known Nyack talent who worked for me 30 years ago and is back again in full swing every Wednesday night with his open jam. He is such a kind soul who always makes himself available for any good and honorable cause. Everyone loves Frankie. Frankie sings and moves with his heart, his soul, and his spirit just as he moves his audience.
- Pat Jones is one of Olive’s old time favorites. He had his very first paying gig here about 28 years ago and has developed his talent to the point where he has a S25,000 record contract. He is a brilliant guitarist and jazzy, blues singer.
- Frank Coda with his band “Schwizz” rocked the house and everyone in it. Even Julie got up with her cane and moved to the beats of the band.
- Jeff Spindel on his bongos, banged away like he was in the Caribbean. Jeff is also a wonderful tenant of mine. When he’s not playing bongos, he tells stories and jokes, he plays with his guinea pigs and he teaches art therapy for ARC.
- Kate Hess is a familiar Nyack face who has emerged as a great jazz and reggae singer. When I close my eyes, and listen to Kate,I can almost hear my daughter, Monica (who moved out to LA to pursue singing and acting), who sings like a lark.
- Will Fagen, who played with Frankie, is a brilliant musician who is a familiar face at Olives. He plays in “The Wolf”. Look forward to his new debut for this band at Olive”s next month.
- Steev Richter is a new talent in Nyack. He moved in and immediately became known as one of the finest singer song writer pianists in the area. Steev is a regular great talent at Olive’s. He sounds like Cold Play.
- Dylan the lead singer of “The 4th Best Cover Band” came and jammed along. Dylan has personality and charm great voice and stage presence and great curly hair. He plays at “Olive’s” every other Thursday night and rocks the house.
Thank you all from me and everyone at “Olive’s” for your kindness, your generosity, your talent, your time and your loving concern for Julie Springman. She humbly thanks you from the bottom of her heart.
I want to thank my Olive’s staff who so graciously served everyone food and drinks, made everyone happy, well fed and entertained.
For those who want to donate to Julie Springman’s fund, please make checks to:
c/o Marianne Olive 118 Main St, Nyack, NY 10960
Thank you all again for your loving help and support for Julie!
See also: A Stroke Of Luck For Julie