It’s opening weekend for two art exhibits and a new musical. Jazz music lovers are in for a treat as Craig Taborn gives a rare solo performance at the Union Arts Center on Friday. On Sunday, Union Arts Center also hosts Arts and Drafts where upscale crafts combine with draft beer tastings. There’s classical music, comedy and a sing along, too. On Friday, Rivertown Film invites you to see where creative individuals get their inspiration and on Wednesday screens a movie about wedding plans gone awry.
The Rockland County Jazz and Blues Society presents a rare solo concert by modern jazz piano virtuoso Craig Taborn on a Yamaha 9′ concert grand piano. Craig Taborn has become one of the most creative and sought after pianists in modern jazz revered by his fellow musicians and audiences alike. This concert promises to be a performance of rare beauty. Tickets are available online, $25 Adults/$20 Members & Seniors/$15 Students. $5 more at the door (cash only). 7:30p doors open, 8p concert begins, Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- The Edward Hopper Citation of Merit in the Visual Arts Recipient Exhibition, Carrie Mae Weems: Beacon, opens. In this collection of photographs, Carrie Mae Weems documented the changing landscape and culture of Beacon, NY, over the course of her three-year artist residency there beginning in 2002. Exhibit runs through February 25, 2018. Wed-Sun 12-5p, Edward Hopper House, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- The Carnegie Concert Series presents The Merz Trio, a bold, new, fiercely creative ensemble who will be performing three of Brahms’ finest chamber masterpieces, Opp. 99, 100 and 101 . 7:30p, Nyack Library, 59 S Broadway, Nyack.
- Thirteen Rockland area artists — including a photographer, filmmaker, singer, dancer, sculptor, painter, an actor and more — will try to explain what inspires their creativity at another Rivertown Film INSPIRED! event. 8p, Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave, Nyack.
- The Elmwood Playhouse presents, The Bridges of Madison County, a new musical based on the best-selling novel and movie. Fri & Sat at 8p, Sun at 2p, 10 Park St, Nyack. Runs through December 9.
- Pick up some beautiful crafts by artisans of the Hudson Valley just in time for holiday gift giving at the 10th Annual Palisades Holiday Crafts Bazaar. 10a-4p, Palisades Community Center, 675 Oak Tree Road, Palisades, NY.
- Singer, songwriter, author and visual artist, Dan Bern brings his folk, rock and pop sounds to The Turning Point Cafe. 8p, 468 Piermont Ave, Piermont.
- The prototypical borscht belt comedian, Jackie Mason deftly blends self-deprecating humility with abrasive arrogance to acutely dissect the differences between Jewish and Gentile culture. Don’t miss his all new political material at the Tarrytown Music Hall. 8p, 13 Main St, Tarrytown.
Splurge on yourself or get a head start on holiday shopping at Arts and Drafts, an exciting twist on a “craft” fair. You’ll find artists and artisans with beautiful jewelry, art, and handmade items priced to sell, beer tastings from Defiant Brewing Company, live music from Three Pints Shy and beer inspired bites. Tickets are available online, $8 admission includes a gourmet soft drink, $12 admission includes a tasting flight of craft beers (21+), children under 12 are FREE. 11a-6p, Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Find out if good things come in small packages at the Surrender to Small: Juried Small Works Art Show Opening Reception. Ninety artists working in various mediums from collage to fiber to photography to watercolor were challenged to create works no larger than 12?? in any direction. Their smallness demands the viewer’s close inspection and attention and gives art enthusiasts, whether adding to their art collection or looking for a unique holiday gift, the ability to acquire original, affordable, small works of art. 2-5p, Bell-ans Center for Creative Art, 103 S Greenbush Rd, Orangeburg. The exhibit runs through January 5, 2018.
- Don’t back down. Celebrate the life and work of Tom Petty by joining the Nyack Pop-Up Chorus as they sing some of his greatest hits. No experience necessary. Just come have fun and add your voice. 6p, Casa del Sol, 104 Main St, Nyack.
Rivertown Film screens The Wedding Plan. When Michal is blindsided by her fiancé when he calls off their wedding with only a month’s notice, she puts her trust in fate and enlists matchmakers, books a venue, buys a dress and sends invitations. As the day of the ceremony grows closer and no suitor appears, she puts everything on the line to find happiness. 8p, Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave, Nyack.