This week in the villages: What’s green and gold and given to Nyack all over? The Green Champion Award which the Village of Nyack was given by the Rockland County Environmental Management Council. The award came because of the village’s efforts promoting sustainability, including installing new recycling bins in Memorial Park. And if that’s not music to your ears, maybe actual music will be: Everyone’s favorite summer concert series, Music on the Hudson, returns this Tuesday with a great lineup. And attend a special meeting of the South Nyack Police Board to discuss a major change to the Police Residency Requirements.
Village of Nyack
Village Receives Rockland County Environmental Management Council (EMC) Award
The Village of Nyack received the Sixth Annual Edward Brophy Green Champion Award presented by the Rockland County Environmental Management Council (EMC). The EMC highlights and promotes sustainable practices implemented in the County.
The EMC selected the Village of Nyack because of the steps it took to promote sustainability:
- Maintaining biodiversity via participation in the Tree City USA program;
- Reducing the municipality’s carbon footprint by establishing the first municipal Sustainability Desk in the County;
- Becoming a Climate Smart Community;
- Adopting the Unified Solar Permit;
- Contracting with a company to convert street lights to LED;
- Obtaining a grant to install an electric vehicle charging station;
- Obtaining a grant for the Greater Nyack Bike/Walk Master Plan to make it easier to get around;
- Installing porous pavement at the basketball court at Nyack Memorial Park improving stormwater management across the Village;
- Conducting a Green Infrastructure Roundtable and producing a report with recommendations for changes to policies and Village Code to increase the use of green infrastructure;
- Placing recyclable containers in the Village park and ‘downtown’ areas;
- Discontinuing the use of gas-powered leaf blowers on public property;
- Becoming a WaterSense Partner prior to New York state-wide requirement.
A Cleaner Memorial Park
Thanks to a significant grant made possible by Dr. Pepper Snapple Group in collaboration with national nonprofit Keep America Beautiful, 10 recycling bins will be installed in Memorial Park next to the new trash cans that were installed in the Fall of 2017.
Music on the Hudson
The Music on the Hudson concert series kicks off on Tuesday, June 19 at 7p in Memorial Park with the Bobby Deitch Band and its uplifting soul music. Sponsored by the Nyack Parks Conservancy,
Pay Taxes Online
The taxman cometh and paying him is easier than ever. You can now pay your taxes online at nyack-ny.gov.
Village of South Nyack
Special Police Board Meeting
On Tuesday, June 19 at 5p, attend a special meeting of the Police Board to discuss a major change to the Police Residency Requirements. Currently all of the South Nyack/Upper Grand View police personnel must live in Rockland County as per State law and adopted by South Nyack and Grand View. The change would basically allow all of the South Nyack/Grand View police to live as far as 50 miles away.
The South Nyack/Grand View Police Department consists of five full time police officers and seven part time officers. Changing this law will allow all of them to move out of Rockland as far away as 50 miles from the police station.
- Mayor Bonnie Christian, Village of South Nyack (email@example.com)
- Trustee Catherine McCue, Village of South Nyack (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Trustee Nancy Willen, Village of South Nyack (email@example.com)
- Mayor Lawrence Lynn, Village of Grand View on Hudson (larry@Lynn.net)
Tappan Zee Bridge News
Tappan Zee Constructors (TZC) is scheduled to continue installing precast concrete deck panels for the eastbound span following the successful installation of the structure’s final steel girders. TZC is also scheduled to continue preparing its roadway in the coming weeks.
TZC will realign the barrier near the Westchester landing, requiring a single northbound lane closure on the new bridge from 7a to 3p on Tuesday, June 19.
Here are the municipal events in Upper, South and the Village of Nyack and the Nyack Public Schools meetings for the week of 6/18.
Village of Nyack
- Tue 6/19, 5p: Justice Court
- Wed 6/20
7p: Nyack Art Collective
7p: Architectural Review Board
- Thurs 6/21, 9:30a: Justice Court
Nyack Village Hall is located at 9 N. Broadway.
Village of South Nyack
Tue 6/19, 5p: Special Police Board Meeting
South Nyack Village Hall is located at 282 S Broadway.
Village of Upper Nyack
- Tue 6/19, 8p: Zoning Board of Appeals
- Wed 6/20, 7:30p: Planning Board Meeting
- Thurs 6/21, 7p: Board of Trustees Meeting
Upper Nyack Village Hall is located at 328 N Broadway.
Nyack Public Schools
Tue 6/19, 7:30p: School Board Meeting
The Nyack School Board Meeting will be held at Nyack High School, 360 Christian Herald Road, Upper Nyack.