Spice up your Cinco de Mayo weekend with First Friday in Nyack or a spiritual evening with two mediums at the Union Arts Center. Enjoy the beautiful weather and take a bike ride in Harriman State Park or help clean up the Hudson at the annual Riverkeeper Sweep. Feeling artsy? Learn how to paint a mandala or sing along with the Nyack Pop-Up Chorus.
Join mediums Cindy Kaza & Anthony Mrocka for An Evening with Spirit as they connect some audience members with loved ones in spirit. Cindy is an evidential medium who brings extremely specific evidence to the sitter. Anthony is a psychic medium who can hear, see and feel things that are “not of this world.” This promises to be a special evening for all. Tickets are $48 online or $60 at the door and include a drink. 7-9p, Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- On this First Friday of May:
- The Nyack Art Collective has a great evening planned for you with musical guests Paul Speziale and Scott Massarsky at Casa del Sol. 8-10p, 104 Main St, Nyack.
- Marilyn Henrion, is the First Friday Artist of the Month. A reception will be held from 6-7p and a Gallery Talk with Emily Dzuback will follow from 7-8p. She is exploring the relationship between the artist Mary Cassatt and her mother. Edward Hopper House, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Get a good laugh with the edgy and relevant comedy of Donnell Rawlings. 7:30 and 9:45p, Levity Live, The Palisades Center, 4210 Palisades Center Dr. A-401, West Nyack.
- Listen to music that artfully blends blues, soul, roots and rock with Alexis P. Suter at The Turning Point Cafe. Doors open 7:30p, show starts 8:30p, 468 Piermont Ave, Piermont.
- Qualified coaches will teach you the basics of sweep rowing and have you safely and out on the water in no time. Join Rockland Rowing for a lap around beautiful Rockland Lake. 9-10:30 a or 11:30a-1p, Rockland Lake State Park Parking Lot #6, Congers.
- Bike Nyack says Hurray for Harriman! Meet up at 8:30a at the Reeves Meadow Information Center on Seven Lakes Dr near Rt 17 in Harriman State Park for a group ride through this beautiful state park.
- Join the Great American Cleanup to help clean up Nyack’s Memorial Park at the Riverkeeper Sweep. 9-11:30a, 4 Depew Ave, Nyack.
- Learn the role of colors and planets and create a mandala based on your personal numerology at a Mandala Painting Workshop at Union Arts Center. 2-5p, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Sister Act, the funniest, funkiest musical around, is a tribute to the universal power of friendship, sisterhood, and music. Enjoy dazzling dance routines and songs inspired by Motown, soul, and disco. 6:15p, The Westchester Broadway Theatre, 1 Broadway Plaza, Elmsford. Show runs through July 1.
- Celebrate 15 Years of the Amazing Grace Circus at their Anniversary Gala at Grace Episcopal Church with internationally recognized circus performers, good food and good wine. Proceeds go to AGC’s camp scholarship program. 7-9p, 130 1st Ave, Nyack.
- Watch Nyack music legend Sam Waymon take the stage at the 2018 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in memory of his late sister, Nina Simone. Catch it on HBO at 8p.
- Neighbors helping neighbors repair their stuff: bring your broken, ripped or inoperable items to the Rockland Repair Cafe. Repair coaches will be on hand to try to mend what ails ya. 10a-1p, Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave, Nyack.
- Parents and kids can run together at the first Mud Run at North Rockland HS. A portion of all proceeds will go to the class of 2021. 10a-2p, 106 Hammond Rd, Thiells.
- Meet the staff, tour the grounds and create some art at the Rockland Center for the Arts’ Summer Day Camp Open House. 1-4p, RoCA, 27 S Greenbush Rd, West Nyack.
- The Historical Society of the Nyacks invites you to experience Hopper’s Nyack. See Nyack through the eyes of Edward Hopper. This tour highlights the influence of light, water, and architecture. 2p, Edward Hopper House Museum & Study Center, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- The St. Thomas Concert Series presents the sister duo, Chloe and Leah Nevill, performing original and popular sacred songs. 3p, St. Thomas Lutheran Church, 2 Old Ox Rd, Central Nyack.
- It’s the Nyack Pop-Up Chorus’ first birthday. Come prepared and sing the favorite songs from last year. No experience necessary, just come have fun. 6p, Casa del Sol, 104 Main St, Nyack.
Rivertown Film presents Leaning Into The Wind: Andy Goldsworthy, a movie about how nature constantly rearranges itself, and us along with it. 8p, Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave, Nyack.
Looking Ahead … Saturday, May 12
The Mother’s Day Plant and Flower Sale at Grace Episcopal Church is a much beloved annual event. This year, in addition to handmade bouquets and fresh flower arrangements for Mothers’ Day and an array of annual bedding plants and perennials from parishioners’ own gardens, there will be garden ornaments, floral table cloths, napkins, gardening books, etc. 10a-2p, Memorial Garden, 130 First Ave, Nyack.
To get the Nyack Weekender delivered to your mailbox auto-magically every Friday morning, add your name to our mail list. Visit our online sign-up sheet to subscribe.