This week in the villages: Move over CIA. Nyack will soon be home to its own culinary arts center. Hear all about it at a welcome meeting on Monday. Also, Orangetown is getting ready for biking season with a meeting about the Greenbush Road bicycle by-pass project; go and provide input about the proposed bike plan. There are plenty of scholarships for Nyack area graduating seniors to apply for, but don’t delay as deadlines are quickly approaching. After a hiatus, construction on and around the second span of the bridge continues requiring temporary closures of River Road and one lane of the first span.
Village of Nyack
Rockland Community College Culinary Arts Center Welcome Meeting
Learn more about the Rockland Community College Culinary Arts Center, scheduled to open September 2018, on the corner of Main Street and Broadway. Speakers include Nyack Mayor Don Hammond and representatives from RCC and its Culinary Arts program (7p, Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave, Nyack).
Town of Orangetown
Greenbush Road Bicycle By-Pass Project Information Meeting
The Town of Orangetown will be constructing a paved bicycle path on the east side of Route 303 that, when complete, will connect two ends of Greenbush Road in Blauvelt. The Orangetown Highway Department, the Department of Environmental Management and Engineering and the Parks and Recreational Department will be hosting a “Greenbush Road Bicycle By-Pass Project” Neighborhood Information Meeting on Tuesday, March 6 at 6:30p at the Town Hall Multi-Purpose room (26 Orangeburg Rd, Orangeburg).
The Orangetown Bike Study Needs Your Input before March 16
Last month, a new bikeway network for connecting existing trails to the places you want to go–parks, schools, restaurants, and libraries–was introduced. There has been some positive feedback, but here’s another opportunity to share your ideas. Help ensure that the final bikeway network and plan reflects the community’s vision for a bicycle-friendly Orangetown by visiting www.orangetown.com/bikestudy. The page includes a copy of last month’s presentation, a survey, and an interactive map with all of the proposed enhancements. You can use the map to post comments directly on the recommendations and make suggestions.
Spring Parks and Recreation Department Brochure
Spring is almost here and the Parks and Recreation Department has released their spring brochure, which is now available at www.orangetown.com. From a variety of well-organized trips and sporting programs to recreational classes, Orangetown provides a wide selection of fun family-oriented activities for all children, adults, and senior citizens of all fitness levels alike. All residents are encouraged to browse the spring brochure to find an activity that meets their needs or interests, and take advantage of the hundreds of acres of parks and trails that the town and county have to offer.
Request for Résumés/Orangetown Deputy Town Attorney
The Town of Orangetown is actively seeking applicants for the position of Deputy Town Attorney. Interested residents should submit a résumé and cover letter to Amanda Hyland (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applicants must be, at minimum, licensed and in good standing to practice law in the State of New York.
College Scholarships Available to Nyack Area Students
The Rockland Community Foundation 2018 College Scholarship application period is now open for the following scholarships available to Nyack area graduating seniors:
- Auerbach/Goldberg Memorial Scholarship was established to foster a spirit of respect, tolerance and compassion in response to lessons learned from the Holocaust, and will award $1,000 to each of one or more selected recipients.
- Chazen Spirit of Rockland Scholarship: Awarded to a promising high school senior in need of financial aid to assist with college costs, the scholarship is granted in increments of $1,000 per year, with renewal of up to four years for qualifying recipients, for a total grant of $4,000.
- Christine Gallagher Scholarship will award $1,000 to a Rockland County high school senior who has shown a demonstrated commitment towards the education and treatment of those with disabilities.
- ML by Maria Luisa Scholarship will award two $1,000 scholarships – one to a woman who is a graduating HS student in Rockland, and one to a woman who is a graduating student in Nyack HS, who embrace the principals of civic and community involvement, commitment to social justice, social equality, and environment/ecofriendly lifestyles.
- Peggy O’Gorman Leadership Scholarship will award $1,500 to a Nyack High School graduating senior who exemplifies the attributes of leadership, service, scholarship and community.
- Welles Remy Crowther Red Bandana Memorial Scholarship: Honoring the memory of a young man who courageously saved the lives of many on 9/11, the $1,000 scholarship is awarded to a graduating senior active in volunteering and pursuing a career in emergency services or medicine.
Applicants to any of these programs must be residents of Rockland County and meet specific criteria set forth by the individual scholarships. The Rockland Community Foundation website has more information on all of these scholarships. The deadline for applications for all scholarships is March 16, 2018.
Tappan Zee Bridge News
Tappan Zee Constructors (TZC) is scheduled to install steel girders at the second span’s Rockland approach next week. TZC will utilize mobile cranes to raise and place the girders.
Rockland Abutment Work
TZC is scheduled to temporarily close the southbound lane on River Road in South Nyack/Grand View to facilitate a concrete pour for the second span’s Rockland abutment on Friday, March 9, between 7 a and 7 p, weather permitting. TZC will provide flagging support to provide access in both directions. School busses will be given priority throughout the closure period.
TZC is scheduled to clean the outer lanes of the new bridge’s roadway during the morning and early afternoon of Monday, March 5. The work will require single-lane closures in each direction. Lane closure times are listed in the chart below.
Lane Closures Near the Bridge
|DATE:||CLOSURES BEGIN:||CLOSURES END:||LOCATION:|
|Mon., 3/5||7a – One right lane||10a||Northbound (I-87/I-287)
from exit 9 to exit 11
|Mon., 3/5||10a – One right lane||3p||Southbound
from exit 11 to exit 9
Here are the municipal events in Upper, South and the Village of Nyack and the Nyack Public School Meetings for the week of 3/5.
Village of Nyack
- Mon 3/5
7p: Planning Board Meeting
7p: Rockland Community College Culinary Arts Center Welcome Meeting at Nyack Center
- Tue 3/6
9a: ‘Downtown’ Meeting
5p: Justice Court
- Thurs 3/8
9:30a: Justice Court
4:30p: Board of Water Commissioners
6:30p: Village Board Pre-meeting Workshop
7:30p: Village Board Meeting
Nyack Village Hall is located at 9 N. Broadway.
Village of South Nyack
- Mon 3/5, 5:30p: Justice Court
- Tue 3/6, 7:30p: Zoning Board of Appeals
South Nyack Village Hall is located at 282 S Broadway.
Village of Upper Nyack
Thurs 3/8, 7p: Board of Trustees Workshop
Upper Nyack Village Hall is located at 328 N Broadway.
Nyack Public Schools
Tue 3/6, 7:30p: School Board Meeting
The Nyack School Board Meeting will be held at the Valley Cottage Elementary School, 26 Lake Road, Valley Cottage.