The National Weather Service has called a “…WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST FRIDAY..”
Heavy snow and blowing snow expected. Plan on difficult travel conditions, including during the morning commute. Snowfall rates of up to 1 inch per hour are possible this morning into early afternoon. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8
inches are expected.
Portions of northeast New Jersey and southeast New York.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…
Be prepared for significant reductions in visibility at times. Wind gusts as high as 45 mph will causing local areas of blowing and drifting snow, and bring down a few tree limbs and powerlines.
Weather Underground says: “Snow along with gusty winds at times. High around 25F. Winds NNW at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 5 to 8 inches of snow expected. Winds could occasionally gust over 50 mph.”
Other things you should know.
- The Village of Nyack has canceled it’s usual Thurs trash pick-up. Try again tomorrow. Also, here are Nyack’s Snow Rules when the snow rules. Nyack Village Hall will be open today (Jan 4) as a warming center, 9a-5p.
- The Nyack Farmer’s Market is closed today.
- Nyack Schools, Orangetown South and Clarkstown Central School District Schools are closed today.
- Clarkstown update at 1130a
- Closed today: Senior club meetings and programs, pre-school, Parks Board and Recreation Commission Meeting, Parks and Recreation programs.
- Justice Court is OPEN. The following court sessions are still scheduled: Traffic Court at 1:30PM and 7:30PM. Please call the court if you need to reschedule at 845-639-5960.
- Mini Trans is operating on normal schedule today, except the A bus is using Rt. 303 instead of Mountainview Ave. and Christian Herald Rd. in Valley Cottage.
- At this time, all Clarkstown Recreation community centers will open as normal at 2pm. However, please call the centers before arrival to confirm.
- Central Nyack Community Center, 358-2500
- Congers Community Center, 268-9700
- Pascack Community Center, 371-6650
- Street Community Center, 639-5705
If your garbage and/or recycling were not picked up, it will be picked up on your next regularly scheduled pick up.
- Orangetown is on a high snow alert:
Given the projected snow totals, we urge residents to prepare for a Declaration of Snow Emergency Routes overnight. Once such declaration has been issued, on those routes the Highway and Police Departments will be empowered to remove and impound any vehicle causing an obstruction for emergency vehicle access or snow removal.
Furthermore, please be aware that overnight on-street parking is not permitted during this time of the year in order to allow for complete snow removal.
Stay inside and stay safe. Tomorrow is another day (it’s called Cleanup Friday).
Here’s a list of all of the streets in the Orangetown hamlets considered snow emergency routes
SNOW EMERGENCY ROUTE SIGN LOCATIONS
W. Washington Avenue
South Pascack Road
Old Pascack Road
Old South Highland Avenue
South Highland Avenue
Crooked Hill Road
Margaret Keahon Drive
North Lincoln Street
Lt. Cox Drive
West Central Avenue
North Main Street
Crooked Hill Road – Railroad to N. Middletown Road
E. Central Avenue – N. Main St. to N. Middletown Road
South Main Street
Gilbert Avenue – South Main St. to Old Middletown Road
Old Middletown Road
South Middletown Road
Blue Hill Road
Sickletown Road – Blauvelt Road to Convent Road
E. Central Avenue – N. Middletown Road to Oriole Street
Townline Road – Sickletown Road to Ernhardt Road
Townline Road – Ernhardt Road to Middletown Road
N. Middletown Road
Blauvelt Road – Sickletown Road to Van Wyck Road
Van Wyck Road
Old Western Highway
Erie Street (West)
Erie Street (East)
Blauvelt Road – Van Wyck Road to Western Highway
Parkway Drive North
Greenbush Road – Route 303 to Clarkstown Line
Route 303 – Clarkstown Line to Route 340
Bradley Hill Road
Bradley Parkway West
Erie Street (East of Route 303)
Clausland Mountain Road
Upper Grand View
Old Mountain Road
Route 340 – Route 303 to Hickey Street
Kings Highway – Route 303 to Hickey Street
Dutch Hill Road (North of Orangeburg Road)
Parkway Drive South
Dutch Hill Road (South of Orangeburg Road)
South Greenbush Road
Ethan Allen Court
Rutgers Road East
Rutgers Road West
Betsy Ross Drive
Bunker Hill Road
Blaisdell Road (N)
Old Orangeburg Road
Blaisdell Road (S)
Hickory Hill Road
Old Tappan Road
Oak Tree Road – Old Tappan Road to Railroad
Washington Street – Old Tappan Road to Parkway
Washington Street – Parkway to Main Street
Oak Tree Road
Route 340 – New Jersey Line to Valentine Avenue
Horne Tooke Road