“C’mon people now — smile on your brother — everybody come to the Great Nyack Get-Together — this Saturday.”
The Great Nyack Get-Together is a community day at Nyack Memorial Park which is free, fun, educational and — breathtaking. Ride the a Ferris Wheel On The Hudson, hear what 60+ non-profits have to offer, cheer the canoe races on the river, hear live music or just hang with your neighbors. After you ride the Big Wheel That Keeps On Turning by the river, you can take a bicycle spin, lace up for a walking tour, visit a farm, see a film under the stars, or eat all the spaghetti and meatballs your heart desires.
- Deadheads, it’s time to get truckin’ to Torne Valley Vineyards as the summer concert series concludes with the Stella Blues Band. Doors open 6:30p, music at 7:15p, 1 Torne Valley Rd, Hillburn.
- Mangia, mangia, mangia at the annual Blauvelt’s Sons of Italy Italian Feast and Carnival. Enjoy delicious food, performances, vendors with gifts and children’s games and rides. Fri 5p–12a, Sat 12p-12a, Sun 12-9p. German Masonic Park, 120 Western Hwy, Tappan.
Where can you find a riverfront Ferris Wheel, a human Foosball Game, an iron pour, great food and live music? All that and more will be part of the first annual Great Nyack Get-Together, a free community event to celebrate The Nyacks and neighboring towns and villages, and raise awareness of the range of services provided by the groups and individuals that make up the fabric of our community. Beginning at 1p, the River Rowing Association hosts 6-person competitive Outrigger Canoe Races. Cheer on your favorite teams and see who will be crowned Great Nyack Get-Together champion. 12-6p, Memorial Park, Corner of Piermont and Depew Aves, Nyack.
Don’t know a maple from an oak? Learn tree identification through creating art with leaf shapes in the Strawtown Studio and the Palisades Park Conservancy program, Our Broad-Leafed Woodlands. Activities will include painting leaf silhouettes and embroidery on leaves where you’ll work hands-on with the different leaf shapes towards getting to know our trees better. Free and open to all ages. To register, contact Matt Shook at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (845) 786-2701, ext 252. 11a-1:30p, Marydell Faith and Life Center, 640 N Midland Ave, Upper Nyack.
- It’s Westwood, Ho! for Bike Nyack. Join this weekly community ride for a 25 mile spin to the quaint downtown of Westwood, NJ. Meetup in Memorial Park at 8:30a at the corner of Piermont & Depew Aves.
- Bell-ans Center of Creative Arts is celebrating the 120th anniversary of its historic building with an Open Studios Day. The self-guided tour features the work of painters, sculptors, photographers, printmakers, potters, designers, and several businesses. Many of the part artists will host informal talks and feature special works in conjunction with this event. An additional attraction is the Opening Reception for artist, Marisol Diaz’s On Engineering the Self & Untethering the Soul in Bell-ans’ Volition Gallery from 3-6p. Open house from 2-7p, 103 S Greenbush Rd, Orangeburg. There will be a free shuttle to and from Bell-ans from the Great Nyack Get-Together at the corner of Piermont and Depew Aves leaving every half hour.
- The Film in the Garden series at the Edward Hopper House screens the 1982 futuristic Blade Runner, staring Harrison Ford, Sean Young and Daryl Hannah. 8p, 82 N Broadway, Nyack. (Raindate: Sunday, 9/17)
- Come to Piermont’s Flywheel Park to see over 100 artists work on site, take part in special workshops or buy art at the annual Art in the Park. 1-6p, 10 Roundhouse Rd, Piermont.
- Bring the whole family to visit the goats and chickens, taste local tomatoes, see a bee hive demonstration and more at the Bluefield Farm Open House. 1-4p, 690 Western Highway, Blauvelt.
- Take a Walking Tour of Edward Hopper’s Nyack with the Historical Society of the Nyacks. This tour highlights the influence of light, water and architecture on the work of the American realist painter and Nyack native. 2p, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- The hills above Marydell Faith and Life Center will come alive with the sound of beautiful music at Star Fest VIII featuring host and emcee John Patrick “JP” Schutz, award-winning cabaret and concert performer, and his friends. After the concert there will be a mini taste of Rockland. 3:30p, 640 N Midland Ave, Upper Nyack.
Have the best time of your life with a night of rock ‘n roll as the fun–omenon, The Nerds, perform at O’Malley’s. 9:30p, 108 Main St, Nyack
Looking Ahead … Friday, September 22
Local performer Alyssa Sequoia shares her comedic stories on surviving Crohn’s Disease, marriage, aging, and life with original music in her one woman show called “Flow With Me.” Tickets are $10, online and at the door. 7:30p doors open, 8p show begins, Nyack Village Theatre, 94 Main St, Nyack. Visit alyssa360.com for more info.