It’s a weekend of festivals and family fun with something for everyone. Travel the world at an Oktoberfest or celebrate the culture of India. Welcome the season at an autumn festival or grab the whole family for a day of fun everyone will enjoy. The animals haven’t been forgotten: you can learn about hawks and other birds of prey, watch baby turtles being released or get a free rabies vaccination for your family pet. There’s a variety of music from jazz to rock to karaoke for a cause.
- The Mark Patterson Quintet will bring their modern jazz sounds to Maureen’s Jazz Cellar. 8 & 9:30p, 2 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Find out how the band called No Marquee Value got its name at The Turning Point. They’ll play the rock, blues and funk they have played for the past four decades with the who’s who of rock royalty. 8:30p, 468 Piermont Ave, Piermont.
- This week Bike Nyack reprises the High Tor Hi-Ho ride, a 34 mile loop around the eastern side of Rockland County. 8:30a meetup at Nyack Memorial Park, corner of Depew & Piermont Aves.
- The leaves may not be changing yet, but it’s time for the Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt Annual Autumn Festival. Bring the whole family and enjoy carnival games, pony rides, vendors, flea markets, bounce house, music, face painting and delicious food. 10:30a-4p, St. Dominic Convent, 496 Western Highway, Blauvelt.
- Explore the rich cultural heritage of India through cultural entertainment, food vendors, retail booths and kids’ entertainment in a carnival like setting at the 3rd annual India Festival. Participate in a beginner’s yoga workshop, get a hands on introduction to batik and block printing techniques, learn about Indian spices and cooking and more. 12-5p, Commuter Parking Lot, 50 Smith St, Nanuet.
- Travel to Germany without getting on a plane. It’s Oktoberfest time at Bear Mountain. Put on those lederhosen and dirndls, do your best polka, and enjoy the wursts and beer. Sat & Sun 12-6p through Oct 29, Anthony Wayne Recreation Area, Palisades Parkway Exit 17, Bear Mountain.
- Have fun while doing good. Belt out your favorite song at Prohibition River for Karaoke for a Cause to benefit the victims of the hurricanes and earthquake. Admission is $25 and the entire amount will be donated. 7p, 82 Main St, Nyack.
- Bring your cat, dog, or ferret to the Rockland County Fire Training Center for Free Rabies Shots. 10a-1p, 35 Firemen’s Memorial Drive, Pomona.
- Bring the whole family for a day of fun at the free Family Fun Day at the Tarrytown Music Hall. It will be a fun-filled day of circus arts, dance, music, arts & crafts, healthy snacks, and many other fun and magical surprises. You and your children will enjoy a variety of hands-on autumn-themed activities including a falling leaves coloring corner, colorful egg shakers, beaded jewelry and much more. 10a, 13 Main St, Tarrytown.
- Learn about hawks and other birds of prey at Hawks over the Hudson at the State Line Lookout. See live birds of prey, chat with the presenters and to enjoy activities and exhibits. 12-4p rain or shine, State Line Lookout Exit, Palisades Parkway, Alpine, NJ.
- Thanks to cautious drivers, the baby turtles of Western Highway survived and are ready to be set free at the 3rd annual Baby Snapper Release. Patricia Johnson, Class II Wildlife Rehabilitator and Natasha Karl, Class I Wildlife Rehabilitator and turtle experts will be there to answer questions. The area is muddy, it is recommended to wear rubber boots, long pants and long sleeves. 1p, 212 Sickletown Rd, West Nyack.
- Enjoy an afternoon of world-class performances at Anna Veleeva’s A Beautiful Voice: Benefit Concert at the Union Arts Center. A portion of the proceeds benefit MarbleJam Kids Center for Creative Arts Therapy, a New Jersey-based organization offering enrichment programs and support services for young people on the autism spectrum and other individuals with special needs. 4p, 2 Union St, Sparkill.