This weekend see Nyack with a Hudson River perspective in a kayak, take a bike and spin to NYC or through the Ramapo Mountains, watch a movie in the garden, or find a new best friend that says woof or meow. The music scene has some unique offerings from a first time Rockland appearance to a 91 year old jazz guitarist.
- Classic rock ‘n roll fans won’t want to miss The Flying Obersons with The Bitchin’ Brass Horn Section at Torne Valley Vineyards. Sip some wine, craft beer or distilled spirits while listening to fantastic music. Doors open 6:30p, music begins at 7:30p, 1 Torne Valley Rd, Hillburn.
- Terranean Tinge brings their unique blend of of Turkish, Lebanese, and American jazz music to Rockland for the first time. The musicians have different cultural and musical backgrounds and contribute their personal flavors to each new and original piece. 8p, Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Professor Louie & The Crowmatix bring their repertoire of rock ‘n’ roll, blues, gospel and American roots music to The Turning Point. 8:30p, 468 Piermont Ave, Piermont.
- This week Bike Nyack rides from Ft Lee to NYC to take in the sights and sounds of two boroughs. Meetup at 8:30a at Strictly Bikes, 2347 Hudson Terrace, Ft Lee, NJ.
- Find a new forever friend at the Clear the Shelters event at Hi-Tor Animal Care Center. Adoption fees will be reduced or waived and there will be a pet boutique, bake sale and pawsome swag. 12-6p, 65 Firemans Memorial Dr, Pomona.
- Explore Nyack from a different vantage point with a kayak tour from the Nyack marina. Enjoy the expansive views of the Hudson River and Hook Mountain as you paddle along. 3 & 6p, Nyack marina at Burd St, Nyack.
- The Film in the Garden series at the Edward Hopper House screens the 1981 classic Pennies from Heaven staring Steve Martin, Bernadette Peters and Christopher Walken. 8p, 82 N Broadway, Nyack. (Raindate: Sunday, 8/20)
- The Bicycle Touring Club of North Jersey (BTCNJ) hosts the 40th annual Ramapo Rally, offering six beautiful fully supported and well-marked bike routes: 12, 25, 50, 62, 100, and 125 miles through farm and lake country of northern and western New Jersey. For more info, visit RamapoRally.com.
- Why just “do brunch” when you can go to a Hawaiian Luau Brunch Party at Maura’s Kitchen? Enjoy a peruvian brunch menu, bottomless drink specials and music by DJ Dennis Ciallela. 11a, 81 S Broadway, Nyack.
- For music to soothe your soul, head to Catch on the Hudson for the smooth jazz of Wayne Cobham’s Coalition. Bring a blanket or a chair and enjoy the music under the gazebo overlooking the Hudson River. 5p, 16 Front Street, Haverstraw.
- 91 year old jazz guitarist, Bucky Pizzarelli, returns to Maureen’s Jazz Cellar. 6p, 2 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Ever wanted to know more about the human brain? At Brain Day at NKI you can learn all about the brain and even touch a real human brain! Free and open to the public. Reservations recommended. 9:30a-1p, Nathan Klein Institute, 35 Third Ave, Orangeburg.
- Elmwood Playhouse is holding Auditions for The Bridges of Madison County. Wed & Thurs at 7:30p, 10 Park St, Nyack.
What could be better than a Summer Soiree to benefit Nyack Center’s Children’s Cooking Program? Indulge in a delicious tapas style menu and listen to live jazz with Ray Levier and friends at a sunset garden party at a private residence on the banks of the Hudson River. 6:30p, Nyack.