It’s Art Walk weekend in Nyack, an annual event when merchants turn their shops into mini art galleries. There’s music too: Old time rock’n’roll takes center stage as Finn and the Sharks Salute Chuck Berry at the Union Arts Center. History buffs have two walking tours to choose from and Dad gets his day at the ballpark. And it’s T-minus 8 days and counting until the Rockland Bergen Music Festival.
- If you love art, this is the weekend to come to Nyack. The 12th annual Art Walk kicks off on Friday with artists taking up temporary residence in downtown shops. This year’s theme, “The times they are a-changin,” is represented in a poster by former U.S. Marine Corps Corporal Walt Nygard. His artwork will be presented in Veterans Park on Nyack’s Main Street on Sat at 12p.
- Dance, lip sync and karaoke to the great (and not so great) hits from 30 years ago at a ’90’s Dance Party to benefit the the Nyack Park Conservancy. Bring your best Ace of Base or Nirvana act for a chance to win some cool prizes. 8p at Prohibition River, 82 Main St, Nyack.
- It would be cruel to miss Nick Lowe with Special Guest Alejandro Escovedo at the Tarrytown Music Hall. 8p, 13 Main St, Tarrytown.
- Get ready to shake your groove thing at the West Gate Lounge as the Epic Soul Band performs Motown, disco and classics that are sure to get you moving. 9:30p, 26 Route 59, Nyack.
Fans of old time rock’n’roll won’t want to miss the Finn and the Sharks Salute to Chuck Berry at the Union Arts Center. The band artfully traces the music that had a seminal impression on Mr. Berry, and the impact of Chuck Berry’s music on the early years of rock’n’roll through 60’s bands like the Beatles, Rolling Stones and beyond.
Tickets are available online for $20 or are $25 at the door. 8p, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Ride The Hills of Harriman State Park along Seven Lakes Drive with Bike Nyack. Meetup at 8:30a at Reeves Meadow Information Center, 54 Seven Lakes Dr, Sloatsburg.
- Join local history buff Jared Rodriguez on a History of Haverstraw Walking Tour. The tour covers everything from Haverstraw’s architectural and jazz history, to silent film, industry, the Revolution, Pangaea, opera, slavery, Communist utopian settlements, and the first made-for-TV movie. 12p, Casa Hudson Inn, 34 First Street, Haverstraw.
- Celebrate the 70th season of the Elmwood Community Playhouse at a Anniversary Benefit in the garden of a Georgian estate. Enjoy a savory and sweet champagne reception, a live auction and special guests and entertainment. 6p, Sparkill.
- Moliere’s topsy-turvy Commedia dell’Arte, Scapin, will be performed by the Children’s Shakespeare Theatre in the garden at the Edward Hopper House. Admission is FREE, but donations are appreciated and will help to support both the Edward Hopper House and the Children’s Shakespeare Theatre in Rockland. 7p, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
Coming To Tappan Next Weekend
- Treat dad to a baseball game without breaking the bank. A family of four can watch the Rockland Boulders take on the Dominican National Team for only $49 including food vouchers and a commemorative baseball. 2p, Palisades Credit Union Park, Pomona.
- Take a Walking Tour of Edward Hopper’s Nyack with the Historical Society of the Nyacks. This tour highlights the influence of light, water and architecture on the work of the American realist painter and Nyack native. 2p, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Blues singer, Gina Sicilia, launches her newest CD at the Turning Point Cafe. 4p, 468 Piermont Ave, Piermont.
Tuesday and Wednesday
Are you the next Felix or Oscar? Elmwood Playhouse is holding Auditions for The Odd Couple. They are looking for actors with good comic timing for this upcoming show. Tue and Wed at 7:30p, 10 Park St, Nyack.