Memorial Day weekend welcomes the summer season with art openings, jazz and contemporary music and family friendly things to do. Do you love a parade? There are multiple Memorial Day events to commemorate those who have lost their lives while serving in the armed forces.
- Opening of Mercedes Helnwein’s Chaos Theory exhibit capturing “the weight of quiet moments, and the triggers for chaos buried in them… the domestic cosmos and its fallout.” The exhibit will run through August 6. 12-5p, Edward Hopper House, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Don’t just come to hear award winning jazz, come to be entertained by the Giacomo Gates Quartet featuring Jeff Grubbs, Donald Edwards and David Budway at Maureen’s Jazz Cellar. 8p & 9:30p, 2 N Broadway, Nyack.
- This week Bike Nyack takes a Hackensack River Route to Oradell, NJ leaving from Nyack Memorial Park at 8:30a. Meet up at the corner of Depew & Piermont Aves.
- Congers Memorial Day Parade, 10a, Lake Rd, Congers.
- Summer is a magical season. And Mario the Magician, our hometown entertainer, artist and inventor, brings his act to the Nyack Center to benefit the Liberty Elementary Playground Fund. 11a, 58 Depew Ave, Nyack.
- Beer, Baseball…and The Boulders: The Palisades Credit Union Park hosts the 5th annual Beers Around the Bases Craft Beer Festival. Stick around after the samplings as the Rockland Boulders take on the Quebec Capitales. 21 & over, please. 3p, 1 Palisades Credit Union Park Drive, Pomona.
- Art with Emotion: Faces and Figures Opening Reception where you can discover the highly expressive ways three artists interpret the human face and figure—mystical, realistic, and abstract. Exhibiting artists are: Lauren Rudolph, Charis J. Carmichael Braun, and Elaine Schloss. Exhibit runs through June 30. 4-7p, My Own Little Gallery, 142 Main St, Nyack.
Hudson River Boat Slips Available At Rivercrest
This convenient location just blocks from downtown Nyack at 103 Gedney St features 23 ft slips for $700 a season. Two slips, up to 30 feet, are $1,050 per season. For more information, call 914 420-4554.
- Feeling nostalgic? Take a short road trip to the Warwick Drive-In and enjoy the outdoor movie experience as it once was. There’s nothing better than watching movies under the stars. 5 Warwick Turnpike, Warwick.
- Relax, kick back, enjoy some wine or distilled spirits and listen to the acoustic pop, rock, folk and new age music of John Moroski at Torne Valley Vineyards. Open to the public at 11a, music begins at 1p, Torne Valley Rd,
Monday, Memorial Day
Nyack’s Memorial Day Parade begins at 10:45a at Main St and Franklin Ave and ends at Memorial Park. After the parade stay for a free concert in Memorial Park featuring Kick Start Charlie . Depew & Piermont Aves, Nyack.
Go Greek at the Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church Greek Festival. Enjoy homemade food and pastries, crafts, vendors, games, rides and music. Thurs 5:30-10p, Fri & Sat 12-10p, Sun 12-8p, 1 Marycrest Rd, West Nyack.