by Donna Cox
Real Estate Food For Thought
If you are thinking of selling your home and want to obtain the best price (and really, who doesn’t?!) focus on presentation, pricing, promotion and property accessibility. Successful sellers invest in cleaning and sprucing their home up before putting it on the market. This extra effort helps present your home in its best light and differentiates it from many other homes on the market. Sellers are often surprised to learn that approximately 28% of the homes sold in the past year sold at or above their asking price. These homes are thoughtfully priced right from the start. When buyers see your well-presented, well-priced home come on the market they get excited and hurry to see it. More buyers seeing your home can result in multiple offers, driving your selling price up. An aggressive marketing campaign to promote your home is key. It’s not just being on every website buyers utilize, it is how your home is showcased on these sites – inviting descriptions and enticing pictures go a long way toward capturing buyer interest. And finally, the ability for buyers to see your home easily is important. Homes that are easy to show potential buyers are often the ones that sell for the highest price. So, if you’d like to obtain the best price for your home, remember the 4Ps. With that, here are the homes that sold in the Rockland County Rivertowns during the first quarter of this year.
[table id=2 /]
So, How is the Real Estate Market in the Rivertowns?
March 2017 YTD vs. March 2016 YTD – Single Family Homes
- New Inventory (the number of homes coming on the market) increased 13.3% (45 YTD 2016 vs. 51 YTD 2017).
- There was an 20.8% increase in the number of sales (24 YTD 2016 vs. 29 YTD 2017).
- The average sales price for homes that have sold increased 9.4% to $732,041.
- The median sales price decreased 14.0% to $545,000.
- Overall, the average sales price for homes that have sold in Rockland County (inclusive of the river villages) was $460,220, up 4.2% over the same period last year. The median sales price in Rockland County (inclusive of the river villages) was $425,000, up 6% over the same period last year
March 2017 YTD vs. March 2016 YTD – Condos/Co-ops
- New inventory (the number of condos coming on the market) decreased 3.8% (25 YTD 2017 vs. 26 YTD 2016).
- There was a 22.2% increase in the number of sales (11 YTD 2017 vs. 19 YTD 2016).
- The average sales price of condos that have sold increased 78.2% to $424,758.
- The median sales price increased 155% to $458,333.
- Overall, the average sales price for condos that have sold in Rockland County (inclusive of the river villages) was $204,057, down 5.0% over the same period last year. The median price in Rockland County (inclusive of the Rivertowns) was $190,000, down 1.3% over the same period last year.
Donna Cox, Associate Broker for Better Homes and Gardens Rand Realty in Nyack, is a top selling real estate agent in Rockland County and the Rockland County Rivertowns with more than $120M in sales over the past 13 years. In addition to her passion for helping people buy and sale real estate, Donna is an avid sailor and a member of the Nyack Boat Club. Donna can be reached on 845-641-8613 or Donna.Cox@RandRealty.com