One month down, 11 to go. Wasn’t one of your New Years’ Resolutions to lighten up and laugh a little more? You can make good on that promise at Levity Live where Jo Koy performs and at the Tarrytown Music Hall with #IMomSoHard. If More Music was your New Years mantra, crowd into the Turning Point to catch Sangha Tierra and the Christine Santelli Band.
The Nyack Weekender is brought to you by The Arts Council of Rockland.
- Skate at Bear Mountain Ice Rink. Adults $5, children (ages 4-11) $4. 2-3:30p. General skating: Fri from 8-9:30p, Sat & Sun from 10a-9:30p. Bear Mountain Ice Rink, Bear Mountain State Park, Palisades Interstate Parkway.
- Need a laugh? Jo Koy is performing at Levity Live this weekend. He is best known for his frequent appearances on Chelsea Lately and the Adam Corolla Show. Fri & Sat on the 4th floor of the Palisades Center.
- See Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at the Elmwood Playhouse. 8p Fridays & Saturdays and 2p on Sundays through Feb 11, 10 Park St, Nyack.
- Visit Torne Valley Vineyards for an all-day wine tasting or choose from a selection of craft beers and live music by Red Apple Rest and the John Moroski. Sat and Sun from 1p – 5p at Torne Valley Rd, Hillburn.
- If you’re looking for some lively music, there will be a performance by the band Sangha Tierra at the Union Arts Center. Sangha Tierra is a 10-piece band from NYC that mixes World & Latin music influences. 8-10p, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Head to Tarrytown Music Hall for #IMomSoHard, a performance that focuses on motherhood, by Kristin Hensley and Jen Smedley. With over 510,000 Facebook fans and more than 45 million views of their web series, Jen and Kristin’s blend of honesty and humor offer the kinds of levity most of us only get from our therapist. 8p, 13 Main St. Tarrytown.
Attend the Westchester Symphonic Winds performance of “Determination & Grit” at the Tarrytown Music Hall. The winter concert features music which is supposed to “inspire our sense of resolution and purpose,” 3p, 13 Main St, Tarrytown.
- Catch the Christine Santelli Band at The Turning Point to hear the grammy nominated songwriter live. 4p, 468 Piermont Ave, Piermont.
- The Historical Society of Rockland County presents Let It Snow: Holiday Exhibition, exploring wintertime in Rockland. From the commercial impact of the ice-cutting industry to extreme weather and the adventure of outdoor winter activities, this exhibit includes film footage, photographs and art installations. 12n – 4p, Sun, Wed, Thurs, Fri until Feb 26. HSRC Galleries, 20 Zukor Road, New City.
Are you into international affairs (that is, the ones that involve foreign policy)? Come to Great Decisions at the Valley Cottage Library, America’s largest discussion program on world affairs. The program involves reading the Great Decisions Briefing Book, watching the DVD and meeting in a discussion group to discuss the most critical global issues facing America today. 7p, 110 Route 303, Valley Cottage.
Attend the Sunrise Yoga session with Ali Miller at the Union Arts Center to build your strength and flexibility while developing body awareness in a fun and safe environment. 7-8:15a, 2 Union Street, Sparkill.
- If you have an interest in exploring the art of water coloring, the Valley Cottage Library offers Wading Through Watercolor. Local artist Jayne Conte breaks down the basic techniques of watercolors in a relaxing environment with plenty of hands-on instruction. Every Wednesday this month at 10:30a.
- The Palisades Free Library is having the Artist’s Way monthly meet up for those wanting to create art or for those that simply wish to live more creatively. find your motivation with Julia Cameron at 7-9p, 19 Closter Rd, Palisades.
- Join Judith Rose for a unique Poetry Performance exploring love and relationships at Maria Luisa Boutique. Judith Rose is an educator, movement artist, and award-winning poet, and the performance is called “Poems Of Love.” Audience members will have an opportunity to ask questions and respond to the poetry. The Boutique is offering a special Valentine’s Day gift to you, enjoy 20% off selected items. 7:15-8:15p, 77 South Broadway.
- Head to the Union Arts Center for Weekly Wednesday No.10 with pianist Isabel Pérez Dobarro. The program is ‘Songs of Spain’, and it will feature music by Albeniz, Granados, de’Falla and others. Pérez Dobarro has performed in major concert halls all over the world. 7:30 – 8:30p, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
The Nyack Weekender