Fear not, this Friday the 13th. Calm your paraskevidekatriaphobia with some mindfulness meditation at the Valley Cottage Library. Music is always a sure cure for any anxiety that ails ya: The Kennedys sing at The Turning Point, Melissa Etheridge rocks the Tarrytown Music Hall and Casa Del Sol has an open jam session.
Friday The 13th fear might be imagined, but some fears are real and present: Rockland United invites you to rally to save healthcare on Sunday at Nyack’s Brickhouse.
The Nyack Weekender is brought to you by The Arts Council of Rockland.
- The Kennedys bring their US tour to The Turning Point. 8p, 468 Piermont Ave, Piermont.
- Skate at Bear Mountain Ice Rink. Adults $5, children (ages 4-11) $4. 2-3:30p. General skating: Fri from 8-9:30p, Sat & Sun from 10a-9:30p. Bear Mountain Ice Rink, Bear Mountain State Park, Palisades Interstate Parkway.
- Meditation instructor Supriya Reddy guides a class in mindfulness meditation at the Valley Cottage Library from 10:30-11:30a.
- It’s puppet theatre from Arm of the Sea Theatre, bringing visual story telling to the Nyack Center. After the ‘City that Drinks the Mountain Sky’ show, kids will be shown how to make their own puppets. 11a, 58 Depew at S Broadway.
- Visit Torne Valley Vineyards for an all-day wine tasting or choose from a selection of craft beers and live music by Flying Obersons and John Moroski. Sat and Sun from 1p – 5p at Torne Valley Rd, Hillburn.
- Join Rockland United to #SaveACA! Senator Bernie Sanders has made an immediate call-to-action: save health care. We must stand up, stand strong, and stand together. Come to the Brickhouse in Nyack to support healthcare on Bernie’s #DayOfAction. 3:30-5:30p, 20 S Broadway, Nyack.
- The Historical Society of Rockland County presents Let It Snow: Holiday Exhibition, exploring wintertime in Rockland. From the commercial impact of the ice-cutting industry to extreme weather and the adventure of outdoor winter activities, this exhibit includes film footage, photographs and art installations. 12n – 4p, Sun, Wed, Thurs, Fri until Feb 26. HSRC Galleries, 20 Zukor Road, New City.
- Nicholas King, recipient of the Jack Kent Cooke award, is a classical pianist whom will perform Brahms, Debussy, Grieg, and Balakirev, at the Valley Cottage Library. King has performed in major concert halls around the world and received the Jack Kent Cooke Award in 2008. The concert begins at 1:30p.
- Spend an enchanted evening at the Candlelight Tours of The Jacob Blauvelt House. Experience Dutch American holiday traditions of the 1830s with nineteenth century music and song and seasonal refreshments. Prepaid reservations required. Tours start at 5 and 6:30p. 20 Zukor Rd, New City.
- Grammy award winning rocker Melissa Etheridge plays the Tarrytown Music Hall. 7p, 13 Main Street, Tarrytown.
- Local filmmaker Charles Caster-Dudzick screens his new comedy “You Lost Your Last Son.” It’s free, and there will be champagne. Festoon on Hudson, 8:30p, 95 ½ Main St, Nyack.
The Book and Pub Club, geared toward 20-30 year olds, meets once a month to discuss a book over drinks. This month’s book is “Behold the Dreamers” by Imbolo Mbue. The club will meet at Casa del Sol at 7p. If you’re interested, you have 5 days to read the book, so get reading! (next month’s book is “Nobody’s fool” by Richard Russo)
The Nyack Art Collective meets at Casa Del Sol to promote interest and appreciation of the fine arts in Nyack. Members of the NAC will have the opportunity to exhibit and sell their work, as well as socialize with fellow artsts. 7p-8:30p
Panel Discussion and Town Hall Meeting on 1/19: “A Perfect Storm: Battling the Misconceptions and the Health Crisis of Underage Drinking and Substance Use Disorders.” Sponsored by OCADA (Our Community Against Drug Abuse). Free, Nyack Seaport, 6:30p.
The Nyack Weekender