Step AWAY from those leftovers and see what the weekend has to offer in and near Nyack. Adopt a pet, take in some tunes or get a start on your charitable giving list before #GivingTuesday. And you can look ahead to Friday Dec 2 to get your Cajun dance groove on with ZydeGroove, a Rockland based zydeco band. That event and this Nyack Weekender are sponsored by The Arts Council of Rockland.
- Make Black Friday a great Friday for Hi Tor Animal Shelter pets who need a new home. Adoption fees for animals six months or older who have the color black in their coat will be waived. All animals are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and micro-chipped prior to adoption. Adopters receive a free wellness exam from most participating vets in Rockland County within seven days of adoption. 12n-5p, 65 Firemen’s Memorial Dr, Pomona, NY.
- In a more traditional interpretation of Black Friday…
- Maria Luisa Boutique and ML by Maria Luisa are offering 30% off your total purchase of $75 or more between 9:30a and 12n on 11/27. Remember to BYOB (Bring your own bag) or purchase a bag at checkout because Green Is The New Black. 75 and 77 S. Broadway, Nyack.
- Shop two stores at the Palisades Center from Nov 24-27 and get a free giant tote bag. Bring your receipt to Guest Services near The Cheesecake Factory to cash in. Also, there’s a social media photo contest where a pix of your holiday shopping frenzy tagged #thehaul2016”, and by tagging “@PalisadesCenter” could win you a $100 gift card. Rules of engagement at PalisadesCenter.com.
- And if you are thinking outside of the box for a special gift for someone special, the Nyack owners of the private Yacht Charter Royal Princess are offering a 25% discount on trips booked by Dec 1 for your 2017 wedding, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Sweet Sixteen, engagement party, birthday or anniversary (also corporate events and reunions). Email Lezlee@NYBoatCharter.com for details, exclusions and more info.
- The Black Friday Ball returns with music from SchizZ, FiKus, Cousin Earth & Chopin Jovi and comedy from Stav Djibas. 8p at Olive’s, 118 Main St, Nyack.
- The Wayne Batchelor Jazz Band performs from 8–11p at Sixty 5 on Main, Nyack.
- Elmwood Community Playhouse stages the timely comedy-drama, An American Daughter. The play centers on Dr. Hughes, the perfect Presidential nominee for U.S. Surgeon General, who must face the cost of one woman who dares to have it all. Fri & Sat at 8p, Sun at 2p at Elmwood Community Playhouse, 10 Park St, Nyack.
Small Business Saturday
- It’s the annual Shop Small post Thanksgiving Small Business Saturday sales event with 2X reward points for American Express cardholders in Nyack stores through Dec 31. To participate, first enroll your eligible American Express Card.
- ZaniaDollz puts on a Holiday Barbie Doll Exhibit at the Suffern Free Library, 210 Lafayette Ave, Suffern. Exhibit open during regular library hours through Dec 30.
- The folk/rock duo, Aztec Two-Step, performs original songs from their 45-year collaboration as well as their renditions of Everly Brothers and Simon & Garfunkel classics. 8p at Turning Point Café, 468 Piermont Ave.
- Small Matters of Great Importance: Paper + Art is a juried exhibition celebrating small works that make big statements. The exhibit runs through Jan 3. Edward Hopper House, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- The Historical Society of Nyack hosts Van Houten’s Landing Historic Neighborhood exhibit. Weekly on Sat from 1-4p at 50 Piermont Ave, Nyack.
- Take a peek into the past during Thanksgiving Time at Mrs. Kearney’s Historic Tavern. Holiday cheer by the fireside, period games and amusements for the youngsters and music by tavern musician, Mr. Thaddeus MacGregor. Sat & Sun from 1 – 4p at the Kearney House, Alpine Picnic Area & Boat Basin, accessible from the Alpine park entrance on U.S. Rt. 9W, or at Exit 2 of the PIP.
- Enjoy Sunday Brunch with the music of Acute Inflections, a unique duo with a jazzy, funky and sultry sound. 4p at BV’s Grill at Time Hotel, 400 High Ave, Nyack.
St. Thomas Aquinas College students host a #GivingTuesday event for Nyack’s Penguin Plunge, a nonprofit organization that supports three Rockland County children with serious medical conditions each year. There are challenges, activities and raffles from 1:30-4p at the Romano Center on campus followed by a “Penguin Party” . from 5:30p-8p with free food at the Lexington Grill and Pub in Bardonia with proceeds benefiting the Penguin Plunge. #GivingTuesday is held annually on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving to kick-off the holiday giving season and inspire people to collaborate in improving their local communities to give back to the charities and causes. St. Thomas Aquinas College, 125 Route 340 Sparkill.
- Rivertown Film screens Little Men, a story that explores the ways in which adult problems impact a childhood friendship. 8p at Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave.
- American Portraits with pianist Jonathan Levin, a concert that features iconic American classics including songs by Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, Richard Rodgers, and George Gershwin. 8p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Joel Newton Situation performs originals, jazz and rock at 9:30p at Maureen’s Jazz Cellar, Maureen’s Jazz Cellar, 2 N. Broadway, Nyack.
The Nyack Farmers’ Market has gone undercover! From Thanksgiving until the end of March, you can still shop for fresh produce and meats, fish, honey, a variety of farm products inside The Nyack Center each Thurs from 8a-2p. There are arts and crafts on sale too, all while enjoying live music from local musicians. The Nyack Center is located at 58 Depew and S Broadway.
Next Friday, Dec 2
The Arts Council of Rockland presents ZydeGroove, a Rockland based zydeco band. With its deep rhythm section of bass, drums, guitar and rub board topped off with even more rhythm of the accordion and fiddle, this band will get you on your feet and moving to the beat. Zydegroove calls on their musical heritage from many of the older generation Creole players from southwest Louisiana. $20 admission to benefit Rockland County artists. 7:30p. West Gate Motor Lounge, 26 Route 59, Nyack.
Get the Nyack Weekender in your mailbox auto-magically every Friday morning. Add your name to our mail list to get this weekly guide to weekend events. Visit our online sign-up sheet to subscribe.
The Nyack Weekender