The Patriot Day Street Fair honors first responders and hometown heroes. Plus, Nyack is packed with music, art and outdoor happenings. Our weekly Fri-Sun rundown of what to do and where and where to do it is brought to you by The Arts Council of Rockland.
- The Cuartetango String Quartet is a classical string quartet that “personifies and embodies the authentic spirit of Tango” (Latin Grammy). 7:30p at the Carnegie-Farian Room, Nyack Library, 59 S Broadway.
- Celebrate the music of Pink Floyd while enjoying a glass of local wine. 7:30p at Torne Valley Vineyards, Torne Valley Rd, Hillburn.
- Sing along to a Outdoor Screening of Mary Poppins. RESCHEDULED for next Friday, September 16. Sponsored by Nyack Hospital, the Village of Nyack, Festoon, and Rivertown Film. 8p at Artopee Way Parking Lot, Main St, Nyack.
- Check out Sculpture in the Garden, featuring the work of James Tyler and Santi-Hitorangi. Exhibit on display Wed – Sun, 12 -5p, through Oct 23. Edward Hopper House, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Two states, two counties, two wheels and one big reservoir. Join Bike Nyack for a fun morning spin from Nyack to Nanuet via North Jersey and a loop around Lake Tappan. Meetup at 830a at Nyack Memorial Park, the corner of Depew & Piermont Aves. This event is part of the Hudson River Valley Ramble, an annual September series that celebrates the history, culture and natural resources of the Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area.
- Take a hike through Historical Tallman Mountain State Park and learn its interesting history as a former oil tank farm. Then, it’s out to the Piermont Pier to follow in the footsteps of the US Troops per month who marched to the Atlantic Theatre during WWII. 11a at Tallman Mountain State Park, 450 Piermont Ave.
- Take part in the Open Studios Day at historical Bell-ans Center of Creative Arts. Studios display works of local artists and the exhibit SUPER FREAK: the art of disco is on view from 11a – 6p at Bell-ans Center, 103 S Greenbush Rd, Orangeburg.
- Nyack Family Bike Day is a day for parents and kids to ride bikes, get some safety tips, and join an escorted bike ride through some of Rockland’s lovely Rivertowns. Plus, a AAA Bike Rodeo, vendors, and live entertainment by The Jeff Rubin Band. 11a – 3p at Nyack Memorial Park.
- Experience a political time capsule in Rockland Votes! A Look at Presidential Elections, 1854–1968. Wed through Fri and Sun, 12-4p through Nov 6. The Historical Society of Rockland County, 20 Zukor Rd, New City.
- The Historical Society of Nyack hosts Van Houten’s Landing Historic Neighborhood exhibit. Weekly on Sat from 1-4p at 50 Piermont Ave, Nyack.
- Last weekend to view the Edward Hopper House feature photographer David LaChapelle’s Gas Station Series. LaChapelle is renowned for his celebrity photographs, music videos and films. On display through Sept 11. 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Patriot Day Street Fair commemorates all first responders with special honors to Nyack residents Jon Albert, Stacey Sennas McGowan, Harry Wanamaker and Welles Remy Crowther, the “man in the red bandana,” at 10a at the corner of Main St & Broadway. In addition, downtown Nyack will be filled with 300+ street vendors of art, jewelry, clothing, gift ideas, home decor and a special performance by the Amazing Grace Circus. International food stands, live music and entertainment, and outdoor dining by local restaurants. 10a – 5p throughout Main St & Broadway, downtown Nyack.
- Embark on a Hudson River Birding Ramble as experts lead a walk through diverse bird habitats in search of neo-tropical birds on their fall migration. 8a at Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site, 44 Battlefield Rd.
- The Village of Nyack holds its its annual 9/11 Celebration of Hometown Heroes at 6:30p, Memorial Park.
- Mix, match and collage away from 1-3p at the Scribble Art Workshop at the Hopper House. This drop-in family program is a fun way to beat the heat and a creative outlet for all ages. $7 material fee ($5 for members). 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Opening for Angle of View, an exhibition by the late Ned Harris, Nyack resident, photographer and one time member of WWII’s Ghost Army. 1-4p at RoCA, 27 S Greenbush Rd.
Music Mondays: Jazz with Saxophonist Matt Garrison and Friends, plus offerings by the chefs of Halo and Horns. 6p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union Dr, Sparkill
Vintage cars roll into the Bear Mountain Car Cruise along with a DJ, bounce house and food. Every Wed through Sept. 5-9p at Bear Mountain State Park, Palisades Parkway or Route 9W N.
Get the Nyack Weekender in your mailbox auto-magically every Friday morning. Add your name to our mail list to get this weekly guide to weekend events. Visit our online sign-up sheet to subscribe.
The Nyack Weekender is sponsored by
The Arts Council of Rockland