It’s a good weekend to tune into summer sounds, from Blues and Bowie to all kinds of “country.” (think Granger Smith and samba music). There’s a Nyack Street Fair on Sunday with live music, artisans and a Kid Zone. This Fri-Sun list of what to do and where to do it is brought to you by The Arts Council of Rockland.
- Country music singer/songwriter Granger Smith in Concert with William Michael Morgan for the Ramapo Summer Concert Series. 5:30p at Boulder Stadium, 1 Provident Bank Park Dr, Pomona.
- Summer Samba & Jazz with international finger style guitar champion Mark Sganga. Seating first come, first serve with $20 cover. 7:30p at Torne Valley Vineyards, Torne Valley Rd, Hillburn.
- Roues Brothers History of Blues to Rock traces the influence of blues harp and guitar through live music at 8:30p at Turning Point Cafe, 468 Piermont Ave.
- It’s the last weekend for the Palisades Fair with rides, amusements illusion and thrill acts. Plus a petting zoo (this mall really has it all, right?). Fri from 5p – close, Sat & Sun from 1p – close. Palisade Center Mall, W Nyack.
- The price of fame, the cost of things, and the oddest of odd jobs: The NYT says Buyer & Caller is ‘the most talked-about comedy of the year.’ Fri at 8p, Sat at 4 & 8p, Sun at 2p. Penguin Rep Theatre, 7 Cricketown Rd, Stony Point.
- Bike Nyack rides a Rockland County circuit that includes Piermont, Little Tor, The Orchards of Concklin and Rockland Lake covering about 35 miles. Meet at Nyack’s Memorial Park at 830a (corner of Depew & Piermont Aves).
- Guided 3-Mile Hike through serene Kennedy-Dells Park. 10a – 12p at Kennedy Dells Dog Park, Zukor Rd, New City.
- Edward Hopper House features photographer David LaChapelle’s Gas Station Series. LaChapelle is renowned for his celebrity photographs, music videos and films. Member’s opening from 5-7p, on display through Sept 11. 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Rained out but rescheduled for July 10:
Grab a lawn chair and watch The Man Who Fell to Earth under the stars. Rivertown Film Society and the Edward Hopper House present this David Bowie tribute. 8p at Edward Hopper House, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Renowned Pianist Juana Zayas performs music inspired by Chopin’s legendary visit to the island of Majorca with his lover. 8p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Nyack Street Fair brings 300 exhibitors selling arts, crafts, retail items, commercial booths & collectibles. Don’t miss the Kid’s Zone and live music in the Main St. parking lot. 10a – 5p throughout Main St & Broadway, downtown Nyack.
- Mix, match and collage away from 1-3p at the Scribble Art Workshop at the Hopper House. This drop-in family program is a fun way to beat the heat and a creative outlet for all ages. $7 material fee ($5 for members). 82 N Broadway, Nyack
- The Rockland County Concert Band, a symphonic band made up of musicians from the Rockland area, performs from 7:30 – 9p at Hamlets Clubhouse, 1 Kingsgate Parkway, Nanuet.
- Rained out Saturday but rescheduled for Sunday: Grab a lawn chair and watch The Man Who Fell to Earth under the stars. Rivertown Film Society and the Edward Hopper House present this David Bowie tribute. 8p at Edward Hopper House, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
Music Mondays: Jazz with saxophonist Matt Garrison and Friends, plus offerings by the chefs of Halo and Horns. 6p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union Dr, Sparkill
- Warm up the vocal cords and head to Rockland Summer Sings! No experience necessary, just a desire to sing (or listen) to Beethoven’s Mass in C led by a local conductor with accompaniment. 7:30p at Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave.
- Grab a lawn chair and enjoy Mostly Music Festival on the Hudson and the world Latin music Mayra Casales and COCOMAMA. 7:30p, Nyack Memorial Park, Piermont & Depew Aves.
Adam and the NewHearts bring 50’s and 60’s rock to the Family Music Festival, presented by the Town of Clarkstown. 7:30p at Germonds Park, 185 Germonds Rd, W Nyack.
- Classic Car Night takes over Main Street as 250 hot rods and classics cruise in for a night of live music, food and fabulous cars. 5p in downtown Nyack.
- The Mark Hagan Quintet performs at Music in the Garden: Jazz Concert Series. 7:30p at Edward Hopper House, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
The Nyack Weekender is sponsored by