It’s a July 4th weekend of arts, theatre, live music and lots of fireworks…including Rockland Boulders baseball, holiday BBQs and an “animal” bicycle ride, too. Here’s your Fri-Sun summer-y of what to do and where to do it is brought to you by The Arts Council of Rockland.
- It’s the First Friday of July and Nyack’s monthly one-night downtown arts festival begins at the Gazebo at Cedar and Main with caricatures, face painting and live music by Kimberley Hawkey at 5p. Check out a group show at Prohibition River, 82 Main St and head to Casa del Sol, 104 Main St, to see another group exhibit. Presented by the Nyack Art Collective at various venues throughout downtown from 5-8p.
- There’s a reception for the Hopper House Artist of the Month, Victor Mirabelli, from 6 – 7p followed by Art Talk: From Railroads to Rooftops: Reinterpreting Hopper & Hitchcock’s American Landscapes from 7 – 8p, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- There will be Friday night fireworks when the Rockland Boulders take on the Quebec City Trois-Rivieres. Live music, giveaways and fireworks from 7 – 10p at Boulder Stadium, 1 Provident Bank Park Dr, Pomona.
- The Palisades Fair returns with acts including the Fearless Flores Thrill Show (as seen on America’s Got Talent), Lance Gifford’s Magic & Illusion Show and the Las Vegas Hypnotist Show. Classic fair favorites include a petting zoo, food and 40 + rides and games. Fri from 5p – close, Sat & Sun from 1p – close. Palisade Center Mall, W Nyack.
- Buyer & Caller is ‘the most talked-about comedy of the year’ (NYT) about the price of fame, the cost of things, and the oddest of odd jobs. Fri at 2 & 8p, Sat at 4 & 8p, Sun at 2p. Penguin Rep Theatre, 7 Cricketown Rd, Stony Point.
- Roues Brothers History of Blues to Rock traces the influence of blues harp and guitar through live music at 8:30p at Turning Point Cafe, 468 Piermont Ave.
- Bike Nyack has planned one animal bicycle ride for Saturday morning. The turnaround point for the Sat July 2 ride is the Bergen County Zoo at Van Saun Park in Paramus, NJ. (No, we’re not lion, either!) Meetup at 830a at Nyack’s Memorial Park at 830a (corner of Depew & Piermont Aves).
- Celebrate the 240th birthday of the U.S. with an Independence Day Commemoration! A battlefield guided tour begins at 1p followed by an illustrated lecture and reading of Declaration of Independence, plus a firing of the cannon. Sat – Mon from 1 – 3p at Stony Point Battlefield, 44 Battlefield Rd, Stony Point.
Treasures from Our Collection at The Historical Society of the Nyacks Museum features unique items from Nyack’s long history. Open Sundays through July. 1p at Depew House, 50 Piermont Ave.
Monday July 4th
Nyack lights up the night at its annual Independence Day fireworks display at 9p in Memorial Park, Piermont Ave, Nyack.
Grab a lawn chair and enjoy Mostly Music Festival on the Hudson and the Orangetown Concert Band. 7:30p, Nyack Memorial Park, Piermont & Depew Aves.
Get the Nyack Weekender in your mailbox auto-magically every Friday morning. Add your name to our mail list to get this weekly guide to weekend events. Visit our online sign-up sheet to subscribe.
The Nyack Weekender is sponsored by