Rock in the summer season at the Rockland Bergen Music Festival with headliners Southside Johnny, the New Riders and Jorma Kaukonen. The Palisades Fair brings daredevil feats and mind bending illusions for the first of three weekends. And there’s jazz at Didier’s, Shakespeare in Sparkill, hiking at The Hook and The Birdcage in Memorial Park. Here’s your Fri-Sun summer-y of what to do and where to do it is brought to you by The Arts Council of Rockland.
- A wine and cheese preview of the Rockland Center for the Art’s Affordable Art/Antique Bazaar & Pottery Sale. Preview is Fri from 6-8p, sale is on Sat & Sun from 11a – 4p. RoCA, 27 S Greenbush Rd, W Nyack.
- The Palisades Fair returns with acts including the Fearless Flores Thrill Show (as seen on America’s Got Talent), Lance Gifford’s Magic & Illusion Show and the Las Vegas Hypnotist Show. Classic fair favorites include a petting zoo, food and 40 + rides and games. Fri from 5p – close, Sat & Sun from 1p – close. Palisade Center Mall, W Nyack.
- Strange Bedfellows presents Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors. Fri & Sat at 7p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- See what happens when an outsider tries to marry into a tight knit Italian family in Band of Brother-In-Laws. Will a night with these jokers scare the groom away? Fri at 8p, Sat at 2 & 8p, Sun at 3p. Antrim Playhouse, 15 Spook Rock Rd, Suffern.
- Join the Library After Hours group for an evening of up-and-coming young comics. BYOB, adults 21+ only, register at 845-358-3370 ext. 214. Fri at 8p at The Nyack Library, 59 S Broadway.
- Joe D’Urso & Stone Caravan, an Americana/Jersey Shore/Rock & Roll band, performs at 8p at Turning Point Cafe, 468 Piermont Ave.
- Jazz Under the Stars featuring Ray LeVier & Friends. 8p at Didier Dumas, 163 Main St, Nyack.
- Join Bike Nyack for a ride north on the beautiful car and carefree North County Trailway. Meetup at 830a at Saw Mill Parkway North Park and Ride at Exit 23.
- Join a guide on a moderately difficult 3.4-mile Hike to Hook Mountain. 10a at Rockland Lake State Park, 299 Rockland Lake Rd, Valley Cottage.
- Two days, two stages, 22 acts only 20 minutes from Nyack. Rockland Bergen Music Festival features Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Jorma Kaukonen, Compton Maddux, Willie Nile, and local bands like Joe D’Urso, Glint, and Tim Donohue. Parking lot opens at 9:30a, gates at 10:45a, music starts at 11:30 on Sat & Sun. German Masonic Park, 89 Western Highway, Tappan.
- Watch the Birdcage Under the Stars: Beloved comedian Robin Williams stars in a poignant comedy about a gay man whose son wants him to play it straight for a few days. Dusk at Memorial Park, Nyack.
- She’s one of Comedy Central’s 100 greatest stand-up comics and a favorite panelist on NPR’s Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me. Read our interview with Comedian Paula Poundstone now, then see her perform on Sat at 8p in the Tarrytown Music Hall.
- Walk the walk of Revolutionary war soliders during an Evening Battlefield Lantern Walking Tour. The guided tour is a cheap date and a docent night on the town. 8p at Stony Point Battlefield, 44 Battlefield Rd, Stony Point.
Upper Nyack Walking Tour strolls from “Pretty Penny,” the former residence of Helen Hayes and Charles MacArthur, and proceeds past a string of remarkably detailed Victorian mansions, a fire company and sites of early shipbuilding and commerce. Meet at 2p at NW corner of N Broadway & 6th Ave.
- Rockland Symphony Orchestra puts on a Benefit Chamber Music Concert from 4-6p at Grace Episcopal Church, 130 1st Ave, Nyack.
- Pianist Jung Line performs Discover Franz Liszt: The Legend. 3-5p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Treasures from Our Collection at The Historical Society of the Nyacks Museum features unique items from Nyack’s long history. Open Sundays through July. 1p at Depew House, 50 Piermont Ave.
- Opening reception for a Juried Art Exhibit & Sale to benefit Rockland County Pride. On display through July. 1 – 5p at Rockland Center for the Arts, 27 S Greenbush Rd, West Nyack.
The Nyack Weekender is sponsored by