Ready, Set, Go! Memorial Day is the unofficial kick off to summer so do something out of the ordinary. Hear a Bob Dylan Tribute, see the Lightscapes show at Van Cortland Manor or experience “sheer joy” at the Sheep and Wool Festival. On Monday, remember and honor the men and women in uniform who sacrificed for our country. Here’s your Fri-Sun list of what to do and where to do it near Nyack, brought to you by The Arts Council of Rockland.
- Jahman Brahman describes their sound as “shred ‘n’ flow,” a dynamic sound with a wide breath of influence. 9p at Olive’s, 118 Main St, Nyack.
- Get outside for the Joan of Arc Carnival with rides, games, food and fun. Fireworks on Sun at 9:30p. Fri from 6-11p, Sat & Sun from 1-11p at Sloatsburg Community Fields.
- The Immigrant is a true story of the playwright’s grandfather, a Jewish man who in 1909 emigrated from Russia to claim stake in the American Dream. Fri at 2 & 8p, Sat at 4 & 8p, Sun at 2p. Penguin Rep Theatre, 7 Crickettown Rd, Stony Point.
- Next to Normal is a moving pop-rock musical for audiences who want to feel everything in one theatrical ride. Fri & Sat at 8p, Sun at 2p at Elmwood Community Playhouse, 10 Park St, Nyack.
- Last weekend to see Lightscapes light up the night with a walk-through, land-art experience. Enter into a dreamland of curiosities spread throughout a historic landscape as far as the eye can see. Fri – Mon starting 8:30p at Van Cortlandt Manor, S Riverside Ave, Croton-on-Hudson.
- Ian Bragg shows off comedic chops with “entirely unique material and ample crowdwork skills.” See him Fri-Sun at Levity Live in the Palisades Center.
- Join Bike Nyack for a spin to Oradell, NJ via residential streets and the Oradell reservoir. Meet at 830a at Memorial Park, the corner of Depew & Piermont Aves.
Sugarglider performs upbeat, soothing singer-songwriter tunes at 10p at Casa, 104 Main St, Nyack.
- The annual Bob Dylan Tribute pays tribute to the folk-rock legend who just turned 75. Sat-Mon from 12-5p at Warwick Valley Winery and Distillery, 114 Little York Rd, Warwick.
- At the Sheep and Wool Festival enjoy fiber craft activities, bunnies and sheep, gifts, food, and a puppet show from 10a-4p at Fiber Craft Studio, 275 Hungry Hollow Road, Chestnut Ridge.
- Attend the Demonstration Garden Tour and Vegetable Mini-Lecture and learn about the ever-changing display of plants native to this region. 1p at Cornell Cooperative Extension Rockland County Education Center, 10 Patriot Hills Dr, Stony Point.
- Nyack Business: Long Before the Malls at The Historical Society of the Nyacks Museum features photographs and memorabilia from local businesses in the Time Before The Malls. Open Sundays through May 29. 1p at Depew House, 50 Piermont Ave.
Memorial Day Monday
- American Legion Post No. 310, VFW Post 9215 hosts a Memorial Day Service at 9a at Soldiers & Sailors Monument, Oak Hill Cemetery, Nyack. Parade follows at 11a on Main St. A second Memorial Service at 11:30a at Memorial Park Monument, Depew & Piermont Aves.
- A Memorial Day Commemoration – Mourn Firelocks: to honor fallen soldiers from all wars with a presentation in the 18th Century military fashion followed by an artillery demonstration. 2:45p at the Stony Point Battlefield, 44 Battflefield Rd, Stony Point.
Car enthusiasts should check out the Bear Mountain Cruise Show. There’s also a DJ, bounce house and food. Every Wed until 9/7 from 5-9p at Palisades Parkway or Route 9W, N Bear Mountain.
Motorcycle riders and aficionados are invited to the first ever Nyack Motorcycle Expo, which will see bikes lining the streets of downtown Nyack. Food donations collected to support Soup Angels. 5p – dusk, Main St from Cedar to Franklin.
Get the Nyack Weekender in your mailbox auto-magically every Friday morning. Add your name to our mail list to get this weekly guide to weekend events. Visit our online sign-up sheet to subscribe.
The Nyack Weekender is sponsored by