by LeeAnn Mailly
This weekend, the live music line-up includes funk from Mr. Breakdown, African music from ForestDance, anime covers from Moshi Moshi and more! Local theatre doesn’t disappoint when Elmwood Playhouse, Antrim Playhouse and Nyack Village Theatre bring memorable stories to the stage with Harvey, Unnecessary Farce and Alfred Hitchcock. Here’s your rundown of what to do and where to do it.
- The 30th Annual Tri-State International Auto Show features 200 new vehicles from 25 manufacturers. Fri from 3-9p, Sat from 10a-8p & Sun from 10a-6p. At Rockland Community College, 145 College Rd, Suffern.
- Enjoy some classic whodunits with Alfred Hitchcock Presents 2 One Acts where macabre murder mysteries are performed live on stage, directed by Richard Quinn. Fri & Sat at 8-10p at the Nyack Village Theatre, 94 Main St, Nyack.
- Elmwood Playhouse presents Harvey, a classic comedy about a kind hearted, middle-aged eccentric whose best friend is an invisible mythological creature resembling a six-foot tall rabbit. Fri & Sat at 8p, Sun at 2p. Elmwood Playhouse, 10 Park St, Nyack.
- The Historical Society of Rockland invites the public to Lasting Legacies 1915: The 40th Holiday Exhibition. Part I, Happy 100th Birthday, Raggedy Ann, celebrates the beloved character while part II, A 1915 Congers Christmas, re-creates a parlor setting decorated for the holidays circa 1915. Wed-Fri 12- 4p, Sun 12-4p at HSRC, 20 Zukor Rd, New City.
- Bear Mountain Ice Rink is open for the winter! Adults $5, children (ages 4-22) $4. Check website for holiday hours. Bear Mountain Ice Rink, Bear Mountain State Park, Palisades Interstate Parkway.
- Last weekend to check out the Nyack Window Project which pairs visual artists with local landlords to create original installations in downtown storefront windows, a project conceived by award-winning set designer and Nyack resident Joanne Howard. Exhibits on Main St and Broadway in Nyack.
- Viva Espana! a cocktail party to benefit the Rockland Center for the Arts. Spanish Guitar! Goya & Granados! Tango! Tapas swirl about while authentic Sangria and Spanish wines flow. Performances by Ansel Bobrow, a prodigy on classical Spanish guitar, Rebecca Tomas, the principal dancer and founder of A Palo Seco Flamenco Dance Company and Yasher Yaslowitz, a classical pianist who will perform compositions from Spanish composers. Don’t miss the auction of six collectible Spanish wines. $80 per person in advance ($90 at the door). 6-9p at Rockland Center For the Arts, 27 S Greenbush Rd, West Nyack.
- Visit Torne Valley Vineyards for all-day wine tasting or choose from a selection of craft beers. Enjoy music by Steve D. & Friends and Alice Leon. $7 for wine tasting. Sat & Sun from 11a-5:30p at Torne Valley Vineyards, Torne Valley Rd, Hillburn.
- Don’t miss Overtures for Kids featuring ForestDance. Audiences of all ages enjoy traditional African music using instruments such as bala, mbira, djembe and shekere. 3-4p at Rockland Conservatory of Music, 45 S Main St, Pearl River.
- Come on out for the Mr. Breakdown Birthday Bash in celebration of Dave, Mike & Joey Mamma! 9p at Casa del Sol, 104 Main St, Nyack.
- Two cops. Three crooks. Eight doors. Go. Unnecessary Farce is an award-winning stage comedy by Paul Slade Smith that combines all the elements of classic farce with a contemporary American plot. Sat at 8p at Antrim Playhouse, 15 Spook Rock Rd, Suffern.
- Edward Hopper House Annual Members Exhibition features William Rauschenberg who was an Artist Member of the Month. His recent series, In Shadow, an exploration of Edward Hopper’s themes, is on display. 5-7p at Edward Hopper House Art Center, 82 N Broadway.
- Check out Moshi Moshi, a Japanese anime and video game cover band. A great program for otaku and weeaboos, yet accessible for casual fans and all music lovers. 3p at Church of the Savior, 643 Forest Ave Paramus, NJ.
- DJ JT returns to Karma with some dance music and Doo Wop. 4p at Karma, 100 Main St, Nyack.
- See the exhibit of Nyack artist William Bruckner. On display each Sun from 1-4p through Feb. Historical Society of the Nyacks, 50 Piermont Ave, Nyack.
Reception and talk featuring Peculiar Flora: The Sugar and Porcelain Sculptures of Susan Graham. Exhibit runs from Jan 25 through Feb 14. 4:30-6:30p at Azarian McCullough Art Gallery, 125 New York 340, Orangeburg.
Get the Nyack Weekender in your mailbox auto-magically every Friday morning. Add your name to our mail list to get this weekly guide to weekend events. Visit our online sign-up sheet to subscribe.
The Nyack Weekender is sponsored by
The Arts Council of Rockland
Union Arts Center