Here’s your weekly rundown of what to do and where to do it. And don’t forget – this is the final weekend you can park for free in Nyack’s two public parking lots.
- The Rockland County Jazz & Blues Society presents the world premier of Evolution Suite for Jazz Quintet, String Quartet, and Electronics by the Richard Sussman Ensemble. Visit rcjbs.org for tickets. 8p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- You’re invited to the Antrim Playhouse rendition of It’s A Wonderful Life: Live Radio Play. A beloved American holiday classic comes to captivating life as a live 1940’s radio broadcast. With the help of an ensemble that brings a few dozen characters to the stage, the story of idealistic George Bailey unfolds as he considers ending his life one fateful Christmas Eve. Fri & Sat at 8p, Sun at 2p at Antrim Playhouse, 15 Spook Rock Rd, Suffern.
- Downtown Nyack will be transformed into an outdoor art gallery during the months of December and January by the Nyack Window Project, which pairs visual artists with local landlords to create original installations in downtown storefront windows, a project conceived by award-winning set designer and Nyack resident Joanne Howard.On display through Jan 31.
- Have a Berry Merry Holiday at Bear Mountain. Come to the bear den at the Trailside Museum & Zoo to make tasty snacks for the black bears and watch them unwrap their gift boxes. Rain date: Sun, Dec 20. 10:30a-12p at Bear Mountain.
- Skate with Santa at Bear Mountain Ice Rink. Adults $5, children (ages 4-22) $4. 2-3:30p on Sat. General skating: Fri from 8-9:30p, Sat & Sun from 10a-8p, weather permitting. Bear Mountain Ice Rink, Bear Mountain State Park, Palisades Interstate Parkway.
- Attend the Vox Lumina Musical Medicine Show for an evening of sacred sound baths, kirtans, and songs of remembering and healing. 7p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union Ave, Sparkill.
- Don’t miss Finn and the Sharks Annual Holiday Feeding Frenzy.8p at Turning Point, 468 Piermont Ave.
- Donate a blanket, get rock n’ roll. The Blankfest benefit concert collects blankets to be distributed directly to NYC’s homeless beginning Christmas Eve. Enjoy the talents of: The Undead, featuring Bobby Steele; Patti Rothberg; The Rewd Onez, Featuring Rew Starr; Joe D’Urso & Stone Caravan; The Tim O’Donohue Band; Johnny & The Alimonies; Kama Linden; Count of Nine; The Midnight Blackouts; Wadada; and the River Acoustic Band. Hosted by The Baghdaddios and Lower East Side Bilingual Poet, Yvonne Sotomayor. Noon – Midnight, Hudson House, 134 Main St, Nyack.
- Soprano Anna Veleva joins pianist Yashar Yaslowitz to tell the story of Chopin’s Dream Of Love. Post-concert reception with wine and delicacies. 3p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Embrace the spirit of the season and enjoy the Rockland County Concert Band Holiday Concert. 3-4p at Pearl River Public Library, 80 Franklin Ave, Pearl River.
- Spend an enchanted evening at the Candlelight Tours of The Jacob Blauvelt House. Experience Dutch American holiday traditions of the 1830s with nineteenth century music and song and seasonal refreshments. Prepaid reservations required. Tours start at 5 and 6:30p at the Jacob Blauvelt House, 20 Zukor Rd, New City.
The Nyack Homeless Project hosts its annual Winter Donation Sorting Party. Join the fun and sort donations received from generous donors. 9:30a – 1p at Auditorium For the Performing Arts, Nyack College, 13A Dickinson Ave, Nyack.
Nyack News and Views wish you and your family Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and a Wonderful New Year!
The Nyack Weekender is sponsored by