by LeeAnn Mailly
There’s no better way to get in the holiday spirit than being part of the monthly music, art and dance festival during First Friday in Nyack. Ready your senses for a ballet performance of the Nutcracker, a Holiday Craft Boutique, a participatory rendition of Handel’s Messiah and more. Come out for the annual Holiday Lights from 4-6p at Nyack’s downtown Veteran’s Park gazebo on Saturday. And don’t forget – you can park for free at Nyack’s two public parking lots every weekend from now until Christmas.
- It’s the First Friday of December and Nyack’s monthly one-night downtown arts festival includes a group show titled The Blues, plus live music at 8p at Prohibition River, 82 Main St. Head to the after-party for percussive world music and dance at 9p at Casa del Sol, 104 Main St. An artist reception for Joyce Byrnes starts at 6p and a screening of Cadmium Yellow starts at 7p at Edward Hopper House, 82 N. Broadway. Presented by the Nyack Art Collective at various venues throughout downtown from 6-8p.
- The Rockland Youth Dance Ensemble presents a full-length narrated ballet of the holiday classic The Nutcracker. Fri & Sat at 7p, Sun at 1p, North Rockland High School, 106 Hammond Rd, Thiells.
- Elmwood Playhouse presents Good People, an insightful comedy of class and culture by David Lindsay-Abaire. Fri & Sat at 8p, Sun at 2 & 8p at Elmwood Playhouse, 10 Park St, Nyack.
- Take time to find the perfect, hand-crafted gift for your loved ones at the Holiday Craft Boutique. 10a-4p at Valley Cottage Library, 110 Route 303.
- Cynthia Shaw holds an open studio and holiday sale featuring unique assemblages, mixed media paintings and handmade jewelry! Noon-5p at 42 Main St., Nyack.
- Get into the spirit of the holidays at the Rockland County Concert Band Holiday Concert from 2-3p at Central Presbyterian Church, 89 Hudson Ave, Haverstraw.
- Holiday Lights of Nyack brings the community together to greet the season with songs, refreshment, a visit from Santa and fun for all ages. 4-6p at the Main Street Gazebo, Nyack.
- Enjoy Cookies with Santa – all are welcome! 10-11a at East Court, Level 1, Palisades Center, 1000 Palisades Center Dr, West Nyack.
- Don’t miss an afternoon with the New York Philharmonic Principal Brass Quintet – a group who enjoys worldwide exposure and an international reputation for incredible music. 2-3:30p at The Reform Temple of Rockland 330 N Highland Ave, Nyack.
- GraceMusic presents their annual Messiah Sing with professional soloists. Scores to borrow provided, listeners and singers welcome. 4p at Grace Church, 130 First Ave.
- Directors Dr. Glenn Koponen and Ms. Jennifer Scott are excited to share the annual Carol and Candlelight Concert which includes performances by Nyack College’s Handbell Choir, Women’s Chorale, and Brass Ensemble. 8p Pardington Hall, Nyack College, 45 South Boulevard, Nyack.
Take a look back into history of some of the people who made lasting contributions to Nyack’s history at an Armchair Walking Tour. 7-8:30p at Nyack Library,
The Nyack Farmers’ Market has gone undercover! From Thanksgiving until the end of March, you can still shop for fresh produce and meats, fish, honey, a variety of farm products inside The Nyack Center each Thurs from 8a-2p. There are arts and crafts on sale too, all while enjoying live music from local musicians. The Nyack Center is located at 58 Depew and S Broadway.
Get the Nyack Weekender in your mailbox auto-magically every Friday morning. Add your name to our mail list to get this weekly guide to weekend events. Visit our online sign-up sheet to subscribe.
The Nyack Weekender is sponsored by
The Arts Council of Rockland
Union Arts Center