by LeeAnn Mailly
Visit Nyack this Fri-Sun to hear live music, walk through history, run for a good cause, see new art exhibits and a photographic display of the first Tappan Zee Bridge….and stroll through the SeptemberFest Nyack Street Fair.
- The Old No.7 Band returns to O’Malley’s with some Americana rock. 9:30p at O’Malley’s Bar & Restaurant, Main St, Nyack.
- The River Skye Band plays original and pop cover tunes at 7p at Bourbon Street Restaurant, 132 Main St, Nyack.
- Hopper happenings include an Artist of the Month reception for Chris Dabagian followed by an Artist Talk by George Way, as he shares A Lifetime of Collecting Dutch Art. 7-8p at Edward Hopper House Art Center, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Dust off your bike and stretch your legs on Sat morning when the Bike Nyack community ride pedals to Hillsdale, NJ and Ronnie’s Bagels. Meet up at 8:30a, Piermont & Depew Aves, Nyack.
- Learn the history the Piermont Pier on a flat and easy, guided walk with the NJ Ramapo chapter of the Adirondack Mountain Club. 10a-12p, meet at parking lot behind Confetti restaurant, Ash St, Piermont.
- As part of Hudson Valley Craft Beer Week, Defiant Brewery celebrates its 1oth year in business with a full lineup of the brewery’s favorites. Four local bands take the stage. Enjoy barbecue, pig roast, cigar stand and more. 12-8p at Defiant Brewing Co., 6 East Dexter Plaza, Pearl River.
- Rockland Center for the Arts kicks off the fall season with a faculty exhibition, open house & pottery sale. 2-5p at RoCA, 27 Greenbush Road, West Nyack.
- Bell-ans Open Studios celebrates its open house and joint exhibition featuring photographs by Tom Artin and paintings by Anne Bell. Over 40 artists and artisans display work. 11a-6p at 2 Bell Lane, Orangeburg.
- Take a rollicking romp through 16th century England at the New York Renaissance Faire! Costumed characters, dancers, strolling minstrels, storytellers and magicians amuse you while you visit the marketplace of period crafts. Faire runs every Sat & Sun 10a-7p through 9/27 at Sterling Forest at Tuxedo Park, 600 Route 17A.
- Enjoy Saturday Night Salsa with Pete Nater. Dance lessons at 8p, and the band starts at 11p at West Gate Lounge at Best Western, 26 Route 59, Nyack.
- The Nyack Chamber of Commerce presents SeptemberFest Street Fair with over 300 vendors offering fine crafts, jewelry and art. There will be live music, street performances and a kids’ carnival, too.
- The 27th Annual South Nyack 10 Mile Run is sponsored by the Village of South Nyack and organized by the Rockland Road Runners. Proceeds from this year’s race will go to the South Nyack and Piermont Fire Companies, local soup kitchens and the Rockland Road Runners’ Scholarship Fund. Kid’s run begins at 8:15a, 10 Miler begins at 8:30a at the Franklin Street Park, S Franklin St, Nyack.
- Union Arts Center presents Red Tent for Women. 12-3p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Attend the Historical Society of the Nyacks’ exhibition, Building the Tappan Zee Bridge: Photographs by Leonard Cooke, 1952-1955. The exhibit of photographs of the construction of the original Tappan Zee Bridge can be viewed during the Historical Society’s new hours of operation: Sundays from 1 to 4p at The Historical Society, 50 Piermont Ave.
- The Concert for Remembrance in memory of the victims and heroes of 9/11. Music by The Concert for Remembrance Orchestra with conductors Edward Simmons, and Holly Druckman. 5p at Grace Episcopal Church, 130 First Ave, Nyack.
Rivertown Film presents Iris, a film about Iris Apfel, a fashion icon, a late-in-life model, an eccentric collector of luxury items, a globe trotter. 8-10p at Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave.
Get the Nyack Weekender in your mailbox auto-magically every Friday morning. Add your name to our mail list to get this weekly guide to weekend events. Visit our online sign-up sheet to subscribe.