by LeeAnn Mailly
Looking for an active weekend? Here’s your rundown (almost everything but a hoedown) of what to do and where to do it.
- Be uplifted by Mystical Music as Carole Brill guides you into stillness with meditative music and chants from around the world. Then welcome pianist Kyle Walker for a performance of classical greats. 7:30p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union Ave, Sparkill.
- Mark St. Germain’s comedy, Becoming Dr. Ruth, is at Penguin Rep Theatre on Fri and Sat. Many know Dr. Ruth Westheimer from her career on radio and TV but few know the incredible journey that preceded it. Fri at 2 & 8p, Sat at 4 & 8p & Sun at 2p. 7 Cricketown Rd, Stony Point.
- River Rowing Association hosts Bring A Friend & Learn To Row Day. Try this fun activity for free and learn how to row on land using a rowing machine before going out on the water in a racing shell. Pre-registration and waiver required. 8-11a at Rockland Lake State Park, Lot #6.
- The BikeNyack Sat morning community bicycle ride goes to Englewood (NJ). Meet up at 8:30a at Memorial Park, corner of Depew and Piermont Aves, Nyack.
- We’ve all walked on abandoned railroad beds, but this Guided Park Walk is full of Rockland history! First, stroll through grassy meadows, then discover Rockland’s railroad history along the old Erie RR right in our backyard. 10a-12noon at the park entrance past the Fire Training Center off of Fireman’s Memorial Drive, Pomona.
- Take a rollicking romp through 16th century England at the New York Renaissance Faire! Costumed characters, dancers, strolling minstrels, storytellers and magicians amuse you while you visit the marketplace of period crafts. Faire runs every Sat & Sun 10a-7p through 9/27 at Sterling Forest at Tuxedo Park, 600 Route 17A.
- The new exhibit Cuba Antes: Images of Cuba on the Cusp of Change features photographs by Julie Cahn. Opening reception at 2p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Join the Hudson Valley Radio Club for its annual air show featuring displays and demonstrations of radio controlled air crafts. Participants ride on a flight simulator and fly an airplane with an instructor using a “buddy box.” 10a-4p at Haverstraw Model Aerodome, Beach Road, Haverstraw.
- Enjoy Saturday Night Salsa with Pete Nater. Dance lessons at 8p, and the band starts at 11p at West Gate Lounge at Best Western, 26 Route 59, Nyack.
- Attend the annual Borderline Folk Picnic, Jam & Singing Party. Bring a lawn chair and your own lunch. 12-6p, Germonds Park, 185 Germonds Rd, West Nyack.
- Piermont had a prominent role in the American Revolution and in Woody Allen’s Purple Rose of Cairo, too. Learn more about the village’s contribution to American history and the movie business during Train Station Sundays. The exhibit, Piermont During WWII: Last Stop USA is open 12-3p at the Piermont Train Station, 50 Ash St.
The Self-Transcendence Marathon is a beautifully scenic, flat and fast, certified race around the shores of Rockland Lake. All runners’ laps are scored and this exciting race can be used as a Boston qualifier. 7a at Rockland Lake State Park, Rockland Lake Road, Valley Cottage.
- Tim Urban, finalist on American Idol, performs a concert at 7:30p at Germonds Park, 185 Germonds Rd, West Nyack.
- Join the laughs at Comedy Night from 7-9p at Olive’s, 118 Main St, Nyack.