by LeeAnn Mailly
The play’s the thing in Nyack, Haverstraw and Stoney Point this weekend. Starting Sunday, you can catch All That Jazz All Week Long during RCJBS Jazz Week. Nyack Jazz Week performers include the Rez Abbassi Quartet, Alexis Cole and the Bernie Williams/Gil Parris Quartet (yeah, it is *that* Bernie Williams. Please don’t wear your Yankees cap to the Aug 1 performance at the Hudson House — you’ll just be embarrassing yourself. :>)
Here’s your rundown of what to do and where to do it near Nyack.
- Check out Al Cisne, an evening of Flamenco and Spanish fare with Juana Cala at 7:30p at the Union Arts Center, 2 Union Ave, Sparkill.
- Shades Repertory Theater presents Medjugorje The Final Prophecy, a dynamic look at five characters of five different faiths and ethnicities. Fri & Sat at 8p, Shades Repertory Theater, 64 New Main St, Haverstraw.
- Elmwood Community Playhouse presents All In The Timing, a collection of clever and hilarious one-acts by David Ives. Fri & Sat at 8p, Sun at 2p. Elmwood Community Playhouse, 10 Park St, Nyack.
- Penguin Rep Theatre stages My Name Is Asher Lev, adapted from the novel by Chaim Potok. Fri at 8p, Sat afternoon at 4p. Various showtimes through August 2. Penguin Rep Theatre, 7 Crickettown Rd, Stony Point.
- The Larry Stevens Band offers up yesterday’s classics meet today’s hits at the Orangetown Summer Concert Series. Free, 7:45-10p, Veteran’s Memorial Park, Orangetown.
- It’s a beautiful weekend to go for a spin on two wheels. Join your neighbors when BikeNyack rides to Oradell, NJ. Meet at 8:30a by Memorial Park, Depew & Piermont Aves in Nyack.
- Experience a unique painting workshop called Nude In Nature under the instruction of artist, Garin Baker. Participants are given the opportunity to paint nude figures in a beautiful outdoor setting. Preregistration required. Sat & Sun, 10a-4:30p at Vytlacil, 241 Kings Highway Orangeburg.
- Last weekend to see W. Church—Boat Builder: An Exhibit of His Life & Work in the Early 20th Century. Sat & Sun from 1-4p at the museum of the Historical Society of the Nyacks, 50 Piermont Ave, Nyack.
- Get your family up and moving at the Healthy Kids Day. Activities include an obstacle course, scavenger hunts, a karate demo, a free family swim from 5-6:30p and more! Events run from 3p-6:30p at Congers Lake Park, 6 Gilchrest Rd, Congers.
- Check out Train Station Sundays where you can learn about Piermont’s rich history including its unique role in the American Revolution, its historic district and moviemaking in Piermont. This year’s exhibit: Piermont During WWII: Last Stop USA. 12-3p at Piermont Train Station, 50 Ash St.
- Opening night of Nyack Jazz Week features the Rez Abbasi Quartet. 7:30p at the Turning Point Cafe, Piermont.
Nyack Jazz Week invites you to take part in a jam session with special musical guests, hosted by John Richmond. 8-11p at the Turning Point Cafe, Piermont.
Friends of the Nyacks presents Mostly Music summer concert series each Tuesday thru Aug 11. This week listen to Steven Bernstein’s Millennial Territory Orchestra. 7:30p at Memorial Park, Piermont & Depew Aves, Nyack.
- Nyack Jazz Week serves up more great music at the ’76 House. Sit back and watch jazz bassist Mark Hagan perform with a jazz quintet then host a jam session. 8-11p at Old ’76 House, 110 Main Street, Tappan.
- Stony Point Summer Concert Series presents Beauty and the Grease as they entertain with doo-wop 50’s, classic 60’s & 70’s rock ‘n’ roll. 7p at River Front Park, Grassy Point Rd, Stony Point.
The Richie Morales Quintet plays Music In The Garden at the Hopper House. Bring a lawn chair and a donation of $5 for great jazz in a comfortable setting. 7:30p, 82 North Broadway, Nyack.
Get the Nyack Weekender in your mailbox auto-magically every Friday morning. Add your name to our mail list to get this weekly guide to weekend events. Visit our online sign-up sheet to subscribe.
The Nyack Weekender
is sponsored by
The Arts Council