by LeeAnn Mailly
Here’s a rundown of what to do and where to do it this weekend.
- The Rockland Jazz and Blues Society presents The Music of Thelonious Monk, 8p at the Nyack Library, 59 S Broadway.
- The Eugene Tyler Band plays at Prohibition River at 10p.
- Mix a Hitchcock masterpiece with a juicy spy novel, add a dash of Monty Python and you have The 39 Steps, a fast-paced whodunit with a small cast who play lots of characters. Fri & Sat from 8p–10p, Sun at 2p at Antrim Playhouse, 15 Spook Rock Road, Suffern.
- The Palisades Fair returns to West Nyack with family-friendly offerings like the Fearless Flores Circus, illusionist Lance Gifford, a Las Vegas hypnotist, a petting zoo, rides, games, fair food and more. Fri (5p-close), Sat & Sun (1p-close) at Palisades Center Mall, 1000 Palisades Center Dr, West Nyack.
- Who says that fireworks are just for the 4th? Bear Mountain State Park gets a jump on Independence Day with fireworks at 8p.
- The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival is three stages of Sat & Sun music with performances by Shawn Colvin, John Sebastian, Tom Chapin, Steve Forbert, Joe D’Urso & Stone Caravan, Finn & The Sharks and the Gary Douglas Band. German Masonic Park, 120 Western Highway, Tappan, 11:30a-7:15p.
- The weekly BikeNyack.com community ride has an answer to the Beatles burning question, “Why Don’t We Do It In The Road?” Come out and meet your neighbors while getting in some good exercise too! This week’s 25 mile ride includes a loop through Upper Nyack and Closter, NJ. 8:30a, Piermont & Depew Aves, Nyack.
- Discover the people and places that shaped American history with Path Through History NY. Check out what’s going on in Rockland County, including a special curated tour of the B.W. Church – Boat Builder exhibit. Sat & Sun 1-4p, Historical Society of the Nyacks, 50 Piermont Ave, Nyack.
Walking Tour of Upper Nyack: Stroll through history and learn the stories behind “Goosetown,” Helen Hayes’ “Pretty Penny,” and how the Village of Upper Nyack once figured prominently in shipbuilding and commerce. Sponsored by Friends of the Nyacks. 2p, across the street from Pretty Penny (235 N Broadway).
- Rockland County Concert Band Spring Concert. 3p at SUNY Rockland, 145 College Road, Suffern.
- Klezmer Music on a Sunday Evening: The Hester Street Troupe. 6:30p, Finkelstein Memorial Library, 24 Chestnut Street Spring Valley
It’s Mostly Music under the stars Tuesdays in Nyack’s Memorial Park. This week’s free summer concert features Stevan Swan. 7:30p, presented by Friends Of The Nyacks.
The Arts Council