by LeeAnn Mailly
There’s theatre on Friday at Elmwood and Penguin Rep; visit the Cropsey Communtiy Farm or take a West Nyack Renovation & Restoration House Tour on Sat; catch the Nyack Street Fair on Sunday. And on Monday afternoon, join the community at The Nyack Center and Memorial Park to help dedicate the Toni Morrison Society’s Bench By The Road installation in Nyack.
Here’s the rundown of what to do and where to do it this weekend.
- Penguin Rep Theatre presents the New York premiere of Small World, a wise and witty comedy that goes behind the scenes of Disney’s classic Fantasia. Showtimes: Fri at 2 & 8p, Sat at 4 & 8p, Sun at 2p. Penguin Rep Theatre, 7 Crickettown Rd, Stony Point.
- Meet-The-Artist reception for Marisol Diaz from 6:30-8:30 at p.ross boutique, 89 Main St., Nyack. New work by Diaz will be on display thru May 31.
- West Nyack Fire Company presents its annual Family Fair with games, rides, live music, food and a petting zoo (Fri – Sun until 9p). Fireworks on Sun. Fri from 6-10p, Sat & Sun from 4-10p at Germonds Park, Germonds Rd, W Nyack.
- Elmwood Community Playhouse stages Intimate Apparel by Lynn Nottage, a poignant commentary exploring issues of race, self-worth and the struggle against compromising one’s dreams. Fri & Sat at 8p, Sun at 2p at Elmwood Community Playhouse, 10 Park Street, Nyack.
- The Knaves of Children’s Shakespeare Theatre stages Cymbeline. Fri & Sat at 7p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Stage Left Children’s Theater presents Cats. Fri at 7p, Sat at 1 & 7p, Sun at 1p at Ritterhausen Auditorium – Entrance on Fifth Avenue. Rockland Boces, 131 North Midland Avenue, Nyack.
- Blue Rock School invites you to a Renovation & Restoration House Tour, a self-guided tour of some of the area’s most charming and treasured homes. A wine and hors d’oeuvre reception follows from 3-5p. $40 advance tickets. 10a-4p at Blue Rock School, 110 Demarest Mill Road, W Nyack.
- Help enable Farm To Table at the Cropsey Community Farm on Sat including a permaculture and homeopathy workshop and a family foraging walk. Email email@example.com or call 845.634.3167 to RSVP. 11a-3p, 220 South Little Tor Rd, New City.
- The 3rd Annual Craft Beer Festival features unlimited tastings of more than 25 craft beers. Live music and entertainment, plus an exhibition game. 12-5p at Provident Bank Park, 1 Provident Bank Park Drive, Pomona.
- Friends of the Nyack Library hold its Spring Book Sale. Sat from 10a-4p & Sun 12 – 4p at Nyack Library, 59 S Broadway.
- Carnegie Concerts presents Rachmaninoff Complete Piano Works by acclaimed pianist, Alexandre Moutouzkine. 7:30p at Nyack Library, 59 S Broadway.
- Nobel Prize winning author Toni Morrison and entrepreneur/Underground Railroad conductor Cynthia Hesdra are featured in an exhibition, 1-4p, every Sat through May. Historical Society of the Nyacks, 50 Piermont Ave.
- The Nyack Street Fair features 300+ exhibitors with crafts, art, photography, retail and commercial exhibitors, festival food, music and a kid’s zone in the Main Street parking lot. 10a-5p at downtown Main St & Broadway, Nyack.
- Part of the Dance Around the World series, Cabaret Middle Eastern Belly Dance features professional dancer and performer Amira Iriz. 1p at Piermont Library, 25 Flywheel Park West, Piermont.
- Outside In presents an art exhibit by Fred Cohen, an artist whose upbeat creations observe life in New York City and suburban New York communities. 2-5p at Outside In, 249 Ferdon Ave, Piermont.
The Toni Morrison Society and the Nyack Commemoration Committee invite you to the Bench by the Road Dedication. Nobel Laureate/Pulitzer Prize winning author Toni Morrison and author/professor Dr. Lori Martin will speak about the importance of Cynthia Hesdra, an Underground Railroad conductor and former Nyack resident. Special performances by Nyack’s Sam Waymon, The Nyack High School Chamber Orchestra, the NHS Jazz Band and Chorale and the Nyack College Choir. There will be a multimedia presentation and performances at Nyack Center at 2:30p (seating is limited, doors open at 2p) followed by a procession to Memorial Park at 3:45 with the Nyack Bench By The Road dedication ceremony at 4:15p.
Celebrate the 70th anniversary of V.E. Day with The Ghost Army, the top secret WWII unit that deceived the enemy with inflatable tanks and sound effects. Co-authors Elizabeth Sayles and Rick Beyer discuss how this group of artists fooled the Germans about the activities and locations of the U.S. Army during the second world war. Some original art created by the soldiers will be on view, along with a slide presentation by the authors. Historian and filmmaker Rick Beyer wrote and directed the The Ghost Army documentary which aired on PBS. Elizabeth Sayles is the award-winning illustrator of more than 25 children’s books; her father, William Sayles, was a member of the Ghost Army. 7p, Nyack Library, 59 S Broadway.
The Arts Council