Here’s a run down of what to do and where to do it this weekend.
- Steel House, featuring three award winning jazz artists – Edward Simon-piano, Scott Colley-bass, and Brian Blade-drums — performs at the Nyack Library at 7:30p as part of the Carnegie Concert Jazz Series. 59 S. Broadway, Nyack.
- Elmwood Playhouse presents Tom Stoppard’s The Real Inspector Hound and Peter Shaffer’s Black Comedy. The former, a spoof of all things Agatha Christie and the latter, a comedy that is both funny AND punny. At 8p, 10 Park Street, Nyack. Runs through Oct 11.
- Shared History: 2014 Historical House Tour, a 10a-4p self-guided tour of homes and landmarks in Bergen County (Montvale, Upper Saddle River, Saddle River) & Rockland County (Tallman and Airmont) sponsored by The Historical Society of Rockland County. More info at the RocklandHistory.org.
- The Nyack Saturday Farmer’s Market features local farmers, florists, vendors and artists from 8a-1p in the Main Street parking lot.
- There’s an opening reception for “A Nyack Toolbox – Implements from the Past” at the Historical Society of the Nyacks Museum from 1-4p. The exhibit features work by William Rauschenberg. 50 Piermont Ave. across from Memorial Park.
- Anne Steele performs at the Nyack Center weaving new stories and old stories into an exciting night of song in a benefit concert for VCS Pride at 7p. 58 Depew Ave, Nyack.
- Pianist Philip Kwoka, winner of the National Chopin Scholarship for Young Pianists, performs music by Chopin, Beethoven in the Carnegie-Farian room of the Nyack Library at 7:30p. 59 S. Broadway, Nyack.
- Penguin Rep presents Character Man at RCC: This musical salute to Broadway’s memorable character actors is filled with stories and personal recollections of Zero Mostel, Jack Gilford, Jackie Gleason, George S. Irving, and David Burns. Curtains up at 8p, SUNY Rockland, 145 College Road, Suffern.
- Walking Tour at 2p: Edward Hopper’s Nyack. See the village through the eyes of the Edward Hopper, a native son of Nyack and one of the 20th centuries greatest realist painters. Sponsored by The Friends of the Nyacks, $5 donation. Meet at the Edward Hopper House Art Center, 82 N Broadway.
- Day of Skate: Beginning at 3p, all ages are invited to skate in the Riverspace Parking lot on Main Street at Franklin.
- It’s home-cooked southern comfort food with foot stompin’ music by the Old No. 7 Band at the annual Hopper Hootenanny fundraiser from 5-7:30p. Tickets $40 per person. Edward Hopper House Art Center, 82 N Broadway.
- Tues Sept 16: Rockland County town hall meeting at the Nanuet Public Library at 12n with County Executive Ed Day. Residents may submit questions in advance at Q&AEdDay@co.rockland.ny.us. 149 Church Street, Nanuet.
- Wed Sept 17: Rivertown Film presents Ida, the story of an orphan who discovers her family background, changing her life. 8p at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave.