This month’s First Friday features an international interactive public art project “Before I Die,” The Best of Nyack Sketch Log by Bill Batson at Nyack Village Hall, live music, street poets and exhibits in 34 downtown businesses.
Before I Die is a global art project that invites people to reflect on their lives and share their personal aspirations in public space. Everyone is invited to chalk their own personal bucket list on a wall, completing the phrase, “Before I die I want to _________.”
The first Before I Die wall was created by artist Candy Chang on an abandoned house in her New Orleans neighborhood after losing someone she loved. If you want to add your hopes and dreams to this growing global wish list with submissions from Kazakhstan, Portugal, South Korea, Denmark, Australia, Kenya, Argentina, and South Africa, gather at the Main Street Gazebo.
There will be a reception from 5:30 -7p at Village Hall for The Best of Nyack Sketch Log, the other featured event this month. The exhibit commemorates artist and writer Bill Batson’s 100th weekly sketch and short essay about a person or place of interest that is published each Tuesday on NyackNewsAndViews.com.
Here is a guide to the Nyack Art Collective’s First Friday September:
Music at the Main Street Gazebo
- Jim Gatti
Main Street (above Franklin Street)
- Cafe Barcel: 162 Main St
- The Franklin Antique Center – Elaine Schloss and Chris Machin: 142 Main St
- Nyack Tobacco Co.- Tony Ziegler: 140 Main St.
South Franklin Street
- Night Owl: 4 S. Franklin Street
- Eyevolution – Cynthia Shaw: 42 S Franklin St
Main Street (below Franklin Street)
- Cloud 9 – Lawrence Hultberg: 120 Main St
- Sign of the Times – Shawna Handke: 112 Main St.
- Casa del Sol – Graceanne Malloy: 104 Main St
- Little Flower Shop – Sandy Levine: 95 1/2 Main St.
- Harry’s Burritos – Jamie Gaviola: 90 Main St.
- Johnny Apollo: 88 Main St.
- Alains Express – Graceanne Malloy: 88 Main St.
- P. Ross: 89 Main St.
- Johnny Cakes: 84 Main St.
- Temptations – Tony Ziegler: 80 1/2 Main St.
- Starbucks: 80 Main St.
The Nyack Art Collective seeks to:
- AFFIRM the importance of art & creativity in individuals & the community
- CREATE a visible and recognizable unified body of local visual artists
- FOSTER UNITY & INTERACTION among artists and the community
- PROVIDE networking opportunities
- ENCOURAGE one another’s artistic pursuits and goals
- SUPPORT individual and community growth & awareness thru the arts
- PROMOTE the marketing and sale of our work
- INSPIRE each other and the community of Nyack, as a whole
- Edward Hopper House Art Center: 82 N. Broadway “Small Matters of Great Importance”
- Lorybird:Colleen McGowan: 23 N. Broadway
- Gena Lisa: 17 N. Broadway
- Nyack Village Hall – Bill Batson, The Best of Nyack Sketch Log: 9 N. Broadway
- Chocolaterie – Donna Timm: 6 S. Broadway
- Pickwick – Nina Berlingeri: 8 S. Broadway
- Sweet Spot- Lisa Wheeler and Natalie O’Donnell: 11 S. Broadway
- Colin Holmes: 13 S. Broadway
- Saffron trading Co. – Natalie O’Donnell: 14 S. Broadway
- Art Café – Cayla Morganstern: 65 S. Broadway
- Sanctuary: 60 S. Broadway
- Pizza Bistro – Cass McVety: 64 S. Broadway
- ML Gifts – Laurie Peek: 75 S. Broadway
- Maria Luisa – Jessica Butler: 77 S. Broadway
- RJ’s – Leigh Anne Eagerton: 81 S. Broadway
- Mind Over Matter – LcNash and Bill DeNoyelles: 81 S. Broadway
- Vincent’s Ear – Tracy Kachtick-Anders: 85 S. Broadway
- Burd Street Café – Kenneth Burns: 78 Burd St
- Gagliardi Studio & Gallery: 39 Hudson Ave