by Dave Zornow
Nyack, April 14 — Rockland County commuters will see one of the best mass transit deals increase 50 percent in May. But it’s still a lot cheaper than a Venti coffee from Starbucks — and a fraction of the price of the Metro North train trip from Tarrytown.
Beginning Monday May 16, Tappan Zee Express fares will cost $3 a trip up from the current $2 price.
Commuters can take part of the sting out of the price rise by buying SuperSaver tickets which will let you take the $3 TZx ride for only $2.20. “Two Supersaver tickets are required to ride the Tappan Zee Express and commuters can buy 10 tickets for $11,” says Transit Marketing Coordinator Michael Prendergast at the Rockland County Department of Transportation. That means you can take eleven trips on the Tappan Zee Express for $22 — a savings of $8 over paying full fare.
Prendergast adds that Supersaver tickets can also be used on the TOR (Transit Of Rockland) too where one ticket gets you one ride. Transfers will cost fifty cents extra, whether paying with tickets or in cash. Riders can buy Supersavers through the mail or at David’s Check Cashing in Nyack or the Shoprite across from the Palisades Mall.
Rockland County’s announcement also included a request for exact change on the TZx. “Having exact change for fares is optional, not mandatory,” says Prendergast. “The intent is to make it more convenient for the passenger and the driver.”
|TZx Cash Fare||$2.00||$3.00|
|TZx Standard Transfer||$0.50||$0.50|
|TZx Senior Citizen/Disabled Fare||$0.60||$1.00|
|TZx Senior Citizen/Disabled Transfer||$0.25||$0.25|
|TZx SuperSaver Tickets||$9.00||$11.00|
|TOR Cash Fare||$1.50||$2.00|
|TOR Standard Transfer||$0.30||$0.50|
|TOR Senior Citizen/Disabled Fare||$0.40||$0.75|
|TOR Senior Citizen/Disabled Transfer||$0.15||$0.25|
|TOR SuperSaver Tickets||$9.00||$11.00|
|TRIPS Cash Fare||$1.50||$2.00|
|TRIPS Tickets (book of ten)||$9.00||$12.00|
|TRIPS ADA Fare||$3.00||$4.00|
Here are the Transport of Rockland (TOR) service. changes effective May 16:
- Based on public input, TOR will see fewer service reductions for than originally proposed with only five TOR routes being reduced instead of the original nine. TOR #59, #91, and #97 will be adjusted to eliminate some underutilized trips, and Saturday service will be eliminated on TOR Loops #1 and #2.
- TOR #59: Eliminate two (Monday-Friday) Eastbound trips from Suffern to Nanuet Mall at 12:30 am & 1:30 am.
- TOR #59: Modify three (Monday-Friday) Westbound trips at 11:05 pm, 12:05 am & 12:55 am to terminate in Spring Valley.
- TOR #91: Eliminate all (Monday-Saturday) ‘€œDirect’€ Service, between Palisades Mall and Haverstraw only. The local TOR #91 route will still serve all stops.
- TOR #97: Modify (Monday ‘€“ Friday) service by reducing frequency from 30 to 40 minutes. The route will continue to operate within the same timeframe but with fewer trips.
- TOR Loop #1 and #2: Eliminate Saturday Service.
Fares for senior citizens and people with disabilities will increase to 75¢ on TOR and $1 on TZx. Transfers for seniors and people with disabilities will cost 25¢ for both the TOR and TZx bus services.
TRIPS paratransit cash fare will cost $2. A book of discounted TRIPS tickets will cost $12.00 for ten tickets ($1.20 per ride.) TRIPS passengers traveling under ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) regulations will pay $4 per ride.
Eligibility for TRIPS remains limited to pre-registered certified riders and to residents over the age of 60 who are unable to use fixed-route bus services.