Here’s the second of the three part series highlighting worthy causes recommended by NyackNewsAndViews readers.
Yesterday we listed local community service organizations. Today we present arts orgs in the Nyacks and Rockland County. We’ll wrap up the testimonials tomorrow with other community groups, international aid and info/news/historical organizations.
“I think the Arts often get slighted because it isn’t a necessity of life. But it’s what feeds us in every way that food can’t. The Arts helps us mold ideas, changes us for the better and encourages an awareness and openness that’s good for the health of our communities and the whole world.” — A Rockland County arts supporter
- “Arts Angels is the parent organization which supports the ArtWorks, DramaWorks, and MusicWorks groups in in the Nyack Public Schools through donations, grant writing and holding special events. We believe that the arts are an integral part of a student’s education. Our fundraising activities ensure the vitality of arts education and programming in Nyack schools K – 12, expanding and enriching student experiences.” — Vera Rulon, President, Arts Angels, Inc.
- “The arts inspire us, elevate us, educate us and help support our economy by bringing people into our towns to be entertained! ArtsRock help’s keep the Arts alive and well by bringing programming for all ages to Rockland County. ” — Jeffrey Friedberg, ArtsRock Board Member
- Friends Of The Nyacks — “I LOVE Friends of the Nyacks for all that they do for our town. From summertime Mostly Music events in Memorial Park to the interesting walking tours and their efforts getting ArtsRock started…and so much more!” — Jeffrey Friedberg
- “Rockland County Jazz and Blues Society is a 25 year old grass roots organization that promotes concerts and educational events around the county featuring America’s two great art forms – Jazz AND Blues! Each year we produce week-long Nyack Jazz Week, jazz & blues every night of the week at different venues in Nyack. RCJBS also produces educational workshops and concerts throughout the year pairing Rockland students with world class jazz artists. We’ve formed a partnership with the Nyack Library and look forward to producing more events at the library in 2011.” — Richard Sussman, President Rockland County Jazz & Blues Society, Inc.
- Rivertown Film: “Although I get NetFlix every week, there’s no comparison to the experience that Rivertown Film brings to our community.
- I have never forgotten the geography, the emotional territory, the facts of life conveyed by Rivertown’s screening of “4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days” one cold winter night a few years ago.
- Or being able to see Julie Taymor’s “Across the Universe” without having to drive into Manhattan and pay close to $200 to behold her shocking beautiful talent on the stage.
- When Daniel Ellsberg’s son came to Nyack with his father’s film, “A Most Dangerous Man,” I got to ask him a question he hadn’t previously answered — and I was surprised by the new information.
“What a privilege to see the Big Screen in a communal place, sharing the experience with others who are also glued to their seats. The experience when everyone in the room is spellbound, sucked into moments and/or insights that may stay with you forever can’t be duplicated at home.
Although NetFlix is great, there’s no comparison. Rivertown Film is the only organization in the county that is dedicated to bringing excellent films that don’t come to Rockland’s commercial theaters… and sometimes the filmmakers as well. It’s a worthy charity for your heart, mind and soul.” — Mary Buchbinder, Rivertown Film Board Member
The Hopper House and ROCA were also mentioned in readers’ lists of pro-Arts orgs. If you are a fan, please feel free to click Comment and share your thoughts about these and any other worthy arts groups.
Click back here tomorrow to read about other community groups, international aid and info/news/historical organizations.
- A 2010 Worthy Cause List ‘€” Part 1 of 3, 12/25/2010
- A 2010 Worthy Cause List ‘€” Part 2 of 3, 12/26/2010
- A 2010 Worthy Cause List ‘€” Part 3 of 3, 12/29/2010