As 2010 closes out, it’s time to think about others by donating and ourselves by taking an end-of-year tax donation. But where should the well meaning with limited means go to give? We’ve compiled a list of worthy causes suggested by NyackNewsAndViews readers. And it’s quite a list — we’ll share the list of local community service organizations today followed by arts orgs, other community groups, international aid and info/news/historical groups over the next few days.
- “Camp Venture is a local charity that’s right next door serving nearly 1200 people with developmental disabilities and their families in the Rockland County Community providing 24/7 residential care, adult day programs, and respite an at-home services to help families. We operate a group home right in Nyack and we have two day program sites and residences in Sparkill and and a residence in Pearl River. Our initiatives include a creative arts program to bring the world of music, art and performance to special people and a recently built therapeutic riding center in Stony Point. And a lot more.” — Daniel Lukens, Executive Director Camp Venture, Inc.
- Good Counsel Homes in Spring Valley isn’t just a shelter for the homeless Mom that has no where to go. It’s an incredible organization gives a total package so that the needs of the woman and child(ren) can be met in the future.” — Eileen Peterson
- Nyack Homeless Project — “My highest recommendation for charitable donations goes to our own Nyack Homeless Project. Created by Nyack residents / business owners Litany Burns and Joe Hazucah, the group works tirelessly to purchase and collect on behalf of those in need helping to supply other worthy organizations as well. They operate all year around — but their work is critical now as the temperature drops and they wrap up their Winter Coat Drive!” — Gina Cambre, Casa Del Sol
- The Nyack Center: “Certainly the Nyack Center is a very worthy organization for all of us Nyackers as it splendidly serves our very own and the effect of charitable dollars is felt directly in our community.” — Steven Knowlton, Nyack Trustee “They are the heart and soul of Nyack. They provide a place for people to meet, learn, share and celebrate. They provide great programs for children, teens and families. Nyack would not be the same without The Nyack Center!” — Jeffrey Friedberg, The Bossy Frog Band
- “People to People, through its Project Joy program, has furnished holiday gifts to 900 families and individuals this year, up from 700 last year. They also distributes new and lightly used clothing to those with little to protect them from the elements. Most importantly, it feeds those in need. Today, those in need not only include families below the poverty line, senior citizens and veterans; they also include members of the solid middle class. People to People feeds 1700 local families each month — a need that has quadrupled since 2008.” – – Jan Degenshein, Architect Planner PC
- “Rockland Parent Child Center: They help families throughout the county with solid services and great compassion. Their ‘Family Connections’ program is an amazing service for our county.” — Jeffrey Friedberg
- VCS Inc. (Volunteer Counseling Service of Rockland County) is a unique non-profit family and community service agency providing counseling, education, training and social justice advocacy and organizing to individuals, families and communities. The agency is dedicated to social justice for all with no exceptions. I can’t tell you the names of the people we serve nor can I show you their pictures, but I can tell you that they are your co-workers, perhaps a friend or a relative or someone you know who lives in one of our close-knit communities throughout the Hudson Valley.” — Deborah Cary Murnion, Executive Director VCS Inc.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and personal endorsements (btw, if you emailed a suggestion that didn’t appear, it’s probably because naming a group and saying “cause I said so” doesn’t really qualify as an endorsement explaining why you think each organization is worthy of your neighbor’s attention and funding! Feel free to try again.)
- A 2010 Worthy Cause List ‘€” Part 1 of 3, 12/25/2010
- A 2010 Worthy Cause List ‘€” Part 2 of 3, 12/26/2010
- A 2010 Worthy Cause List ‘€” Part 3 of 3, 12/29/2010