Put on your dancing boots and head on over to the Union Arts Center for Dancing Lance’s Family HoeDown. See the stars without being outside or go on an underwater adventure without getting wet. There’s an east coast premier, an art exhibition opening, a comedy show for a cause, jazz, rock ‘n roll, choral music, and fusion. For those who like to be hands (or feet) on join a group sing or run or walk for a cause.
- Don’t miss the east coast premier of On Clover Road, an edge-of-your-seat thriller about family bonds and how far one will go to protect them. Fri & Sat at 8p, Sun at 2p, Elmwood Playhouse, 10 Park St, Nyack. Runs through February 3.
- End the week with the award-winning modern jazz of the Joe Locke Quartet featuring master vibraphonist, Joe Locke. Fri & Sat, 7 & 9p, Tarrytown Jazz Forum, 1 Dixon Ln, Tarrytown.
- Chanelle is back at Casa del Sol with a jam packed show featuring a fusion of r&b, pop, rock and funk covers and originals. Special guests Nev Cadesca, Michael J. Torres and Jon Lucente make this a show you won’t want to miss. 9:30p, 104 Main St, Nyack.
- Join the Nyack Hunger Coalition for the Resolution Run Nyack, a 4 mile fun run/walk. Start the new year off helping the hungry in our area and work on your waistline, too. 8a registration opens, 9a run/walk begins, Grace Episcopal Church, 130 First Ave, Nyack.
- The Rockland Center for the Arts (RoCA) celebrates the vision of creativity in The Students’ Exhibition. Artwork includes pottery, glass beads, drawings, paintings and sculptures from the students of RoCA. 1-4p, 27 S Greenbush Rd, West Nyack. Exhibit runs through January 28. Regular hours: Mon-Fri 10a-4p, Sat & Sun 1-4p
- The Rockland County Choral Society presents their winter concert, Music for the Spirit, featuring a soothing and uplifting afternoon of classical and contemporary music including Poulenc’s Gloria, Mendelssohn’s Hear My Prayer and Rutter’s Feel the Spirit. 3p, Living Christ Church, 151 S Broadway, Nyack.
- Incidental Contact brings their classic rock ‘n roll to Pier 701. 8:30p, 701 Piermont Ave, Piermont
Pull on your boots and promenade with the entire family to Dancing Lance’s Family Hoedown at Union Arts Center. Celebrated square dance caller and dancer, Lance Olds, will teach you everything you need to know to enjoy this afternoon of American folk dancing including favorites like the Virginia Reel, Cotton Eyed Joe and many more. No dance experience or partner are necessary. Adult tickets are $15 online or $20 at the door, tickets for children under 12 are $5. 2-4p, Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Let your inner child out at the 5th Annual ArtsRock Puppet Festival featuring the Milk and Cookies Playhouse production of The Dragon King with colorful sea creatures in an exciting adventure. 2p, Ritterhausen Auditorium at BOCES, 131 N Midland Ave, Nyack
- Discover the wonders of the universe at a Public Planetarium Show. Travel to the planets and moons of our solar system. Step into the Town of Ramapo Challenger Center planetarium and see the night sky in a whole new “light”. 2p, 225 Rt 59, Airmont.
- Join the Nyack Pop-Up Chorus “Down by the River” as they keep on “Rockin’ in the Free World” at their monthly sing featuring the music of Neil Young. All are welcome, no experience necessary. 6p, Casa del Sol, 104 Main St, Nyack.
- The Martin Pizzarelli Trio featuring Mark Sganga and Johnathon Peretz showcases the music of Bucky, Bossa and beyond. 6p, Maureen’s Jazz Cellar, 2 N Broadway, Nyack.
Get ready for a hilarious evening of comedy and Laugh Your Tails Off to benefit those with tails. American Me Comedy hosts this benefit for Hi-Tor Animal Care Center. 7p, Levity Live, 4210 Palisades Center Dr, West Nyack.
Looking Ahead … Saturday, January 20
Born from American folk royalty, the daughter of Arlo Guthrie and granddaughter of Woody Guthrie, Sarah Lee Guthrie has a clarity and soul behind her voice that’s all her own. There is a gentle urgency to her interpretations of the songs she sings and the classic music of her heritage. This is rare opportunity to witness the growth of one of America’s finest young folk singers in an intimate setting as she performs the songs that have guided her. Tickets are $15 and are available online or at the door. 7:30p, Rockland Center for the Arts, 27 S Greenbush Rd, West Nyack.