This weekend we fall back with an extra hour for art, music and books. The Nyack Art Collective kicks off the weekend with First Friday, Hopper House features their artist of the month and there’s an inaugural art exhibit at a new gallery. Music fans won’t be disappointed with jazz, hot salsa for a cause, pop, rock, folk and a symphonic orchestra. There’s a book signing and reading and a book sale, too. To really turn up the heat, sit by a fire by the river by the light of the full moon.
- On the First Friday of each month, local businesses host art and music events.
- Missed the Nyack Halloween parade? Join the Nyack Art Collective artists at Casa del Sol where Elaine Schloss’ painting from their first place float will be on view. 8p, 104 Main St, Nyack.
- Reception for Julie Bowers Murphy, the First Friday Artist of the Month from 6-7p and special screening of films featuring the Chicago-based illustrator Chris Ware, renowned photographer Carrie Mae Weems, and sculptor/installation artist Fred Wilson, hosted by Nyack’s department chair for Visual Arts, Joe Fusaro from 7-8p at Edward Hopper House Art Center, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Wine and cheese reception and artists’ talk for 95-1/2 Main’s inaugural art exhibition Incredible Creature: Inside/Out featuring curator Katie Elevitch, Kris Campbell, Esther Dederich, Michael Calabro, Julia Grosso, Gretchen Heinel, Emily Orling and Dan White. 6:30p wine and cheese reception, 7-8p artists in conversation, 95-1/2 Main St, Nyack.
- Hear some jazz young bloods, literally, as famed jazz pianist Hal Galper and the Youngbloods take Maureen’s Jazz Cellar by storm. 8 & 9:30p, 2 N Broadway, Nyack.
It’s fall back, so don’t forget to set your clocks back one hour before you go to sleep! Daylight savings time ends at 2a on Sunday!
- Find your next great read at the huge Nyack Library Book Sale featuring books, CDs, DVDs and more. There will also be a special area of donated books from Jonathan Demme’s library. Sat 10a – 4p, Sun 12 – 4p, 59 S Broadway, Nyack.
- Children’s book author, Joe McGee, will be Reading and Signing his books, Peanut Butter and Aliens and Peanut Butter and Brains. The event also kicks off the holiday book drive. 2p, Barnes and Noble, 140 Rockland Plaza, Nanuet.
- Enjoy a campfire by the light of the moon at a Beaver Moon Beach Fire. Join the staff of Palisades Interstate Park for an informal program at a riverside fire on one of the park’s old bathing beaches on the Hudson. Bring a blanket or a chair and refreshments. A secondary smaller fire will be lit for toasting marshmallows. Musical instruments are welcome. 7p, Alpine Pavilion at Alpine Picnic Area, Exit 2 of Palisades Interstate Parkway, Alpine, NJ.
- Stir Fried is back in town bringing their blend of swamp groove, psychedelic improvisation and hook laden visual songs to The Turning Point. 8:30p, 468 Piermont Ave, Piermont.
- The West Gate Lounge heats up with an All Star Benefit for Puerto Rico. Don’t miss the all star line up of volunteer salsa artists, musicians, DJs and instructors, with more surprise musicians throughout the evening. The MC for the evening will be radio talk show host Vicki Sola of “Que Viva La Musica.” 1st band 10p, 2nd band 12a, 26 Rt 59, Nyack.
- Relax, kick back, enjoy some wine or distilled spirits and listen to the acoustic pop, rock, folk and new age music of John Moroski at Torne Valley Vineyards. Open to the public at 11a, music begins at 1p, Torne Valley Rd,
- Classical music lovers won’t want to miss the Westchester Symphonic Winds, an adult community-based 60-piece wind and percussion ensemble celebrating the beginning of its 30th season with Bridges and Byways at the Tarrytown Music Hall. 3p, 13 Main St, Tarrytown.
Witness the The Power of the Arts at a fall showcase. The D. Anthony team will showcase their creativity and talent alongside amazing local artists and musicians. 7p, Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave, Nyack.
Looking Ahead … Friday, November 10
The Rockland County Jazz and Blues Society presents a rare solo concert by modern jazz piano virtuoso Craig Taborn on a Yamaha 9′ concert grand piano. Craig Taborn has become one of the most creative and sought after pianists in modern jazz revered by his fellow musicians and audiences alike. This concert promises to be a performance of rare beauty. Tickets are available online, $25 Adults/$20 Members & Seniors/$15 Students. $5 more at the door (cash only). 7:30p doors open, 8p concert begins, Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.