This weekend there’s music for every taste from the rhythm and blues of SaRon Crenshaw and his Quartet and the classical stylings of Russian Connection at the Union Arts Center on Friday and Sunday, respectively, to classic rock, hip hop and electronic music. You can run for a cause, take a history hike, celebrate fall, attend a lecture or become more community or environmentally involved.
Get ready for an evening of world-class blues as the Rockland County Jazz and Blues Society presents SaRon Crenshaw and his Quartet. This extremely talented guitarist and vocalist who travels the country playing jazz and rhythm and blues is a powerful entertainer and is never afraid to take his performance straight into the audience. Tickets are available online, $20 Adults/$15 Members & Seniors/$10 Students. $5 more at the door (cash only). 8p, Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Opening Reception for 95 ½ Main’s Inaugural Art Exhibition. “Incredible Creature: Inside/Out,” a group show curated by Katie Elevitch, featuring Michael Calabro, Kris Campbell, Julia Grosso, Gretchen Heinel, Emily Orling, Diane Rosen and Dan White. Live painting by Lauren Rudolph, music by Glenn Schloss and Herve Alexandre. 6-10p, 95 1/2 Main St, Nyack.
- The Carnegie Concert Series continues with The Break Lights, a four-piece alternative rock band from New Jersey influenced by artists such as The Beatles, Neil Young, Paul Simon, Wilco, Radiohead and Spoon. 7:30p, Nyack Library, 59 S Broadway, Nyack.
- Be among the first to hear the new release, Afraid of The Dark, by local rappers TRØN & DVD at a Listening Party and Album Signing. 7p, Kiam Records, 95 Main St, Nyack. Album release performance will be Mon 10/23 at 9p, Mercury Lounge, 217 E Houston St, New York.
- Lace up your running shoes for the Halloween 5K and Kids Costume 1/2 Mile Fun Run. Kids 1/2 Mile 8:30a, 5K 9a, Veteran’s Park, Artopee Way and Main St, Nyack.
- GraceMusic opens its 48th season with the music of Howells & Vaughan Williams featuring performances by Korliss Uecker and Tammy Hensrud, accompanied by Jim Rensink, saxophonist Jacob Nevill, the Grace Church Choir and Brandon Beachamp on the Casavant Organ. 7p, Grace Episcopal Church, 130 First Ave, Nyack.
- Fans of electronic music won’t want to miss the Autumn Electronix Festival at the Garner Arts Center. There will be seven live acts representing many varied facets of electronic music and special appearances by Sam Johnson (Ambient Guitar) and Gretchen Heinel (Performance Artist). 6p, 55 W Railroad Ave, Garnerville.
- Dr. Eric Maisel, America’s foremost creativity coach, psychotherapist, retired family therapist, and author of more than 50 books, will discuss Beating the Creative Blues. He will explain the nature of this special relationship to the thing usually called “depression” and what creatives can do to better deal with what for many is a constant background coloration of the blues. 7:30p, Rockland Center for the Arts, 27 S Greenbush Rd, West Nyack.
Acclaimed pianists Oxana Mikhailoff and Vassily Primakov kick off the new Sparkill Concert Series with Russian Connection. Attend the concert, or enjoy a pre-concert reception AND post-concert dinner. This inaugural concert will be played on a Yamaha 9′ grand piano with Ms. Mikhailoff performing Rachmaninoff’s Sonata No.1 op.28, while Mr. Primakov will perform Chopin Sonata No. 3 op. 58. To close this very special gala event, they will gather their forces to perform Rachmaninoff Suite op.11 for four hands. Tickets ($25-$125) are available online. 5:45p reception, 6:30p concert begins, 8p dinner, Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Take a hike at the Hudson shoreline passing sites of nineteenth and early twentieth-century riverfront settlements and excursion groves. Eric Nelson leads a history hike of Bombay Hook, a moderate hike of seven miles. 10a, Kearney House at Alpine Picnic Area and Boat Basin at Palisades Interstate Park, Alpine, NJ.
- Join the revolution and step back in time at the Heritage of West Nyack Fall Festival. Bring the whole family and take a horse drawn hayride, decorate a pumpkin, watch sheep shearing and lace making demonstrations, hear the witch story and more. 12p-4p, 131 Germonds Rd adjacent to Germonds Park, West Nyack.
- The Rockland Prison Justice Project along with Family Connections is holding a community building Restorative Justice Circle. Please RSVP via email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend. 6:30p, Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave, Nyack.
- Join other environmental activists in exploring the inner sources of hope and strength as Religious Organizations Along the River (ROAR) presents Environmental Activism for the Long Haul: The Energizing Vision of Pope Francis’s Laudato Si. 9a-2p, Mariandale Center, 299 N Highland Ave, Ossining.
- The Bobby Belfry and Kevin Lutke Trio will play new tunes and old favorites at Maureen’s Jazz Cellar. 6p doors open, 8p show begins, 2 N Broadway, Nyack.